+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brand new car - what products should i use?

Ride
    EGO G6ET

Default Brand new car - what products should i use?

Hi all,

My car is 6 weeks old now, so I figure i should start waxing/protecting.

Anyone got opinions/experiences with any particular product? I'm thinking a good carnauba wax every 4 weeks? When should I treat the leather seats?
    Whats the best interior treatment other than armour all??

Any help much appreciated!!
    EGO G6E Turbo - I'm in love!!

Mr Dream Machines
    Ride
    98 AU XR6 VCT sedan

Default Re: Brand new car - what products should i use?

G'day

Your brand new car would become even better if it was treated right
    Contact ray graham at burgdesign.com.au (is in Melbourne) and ask him about C1 lacquer
    We use this exclusively in Adelaide.

It can permanently coat and colour enhance paint, ext trim, leather, vinyl and more

Ride
    2009 NITRO XR6

Quote Originally Posted by SVR View Post
    G'day

Your brand new car would become even better if it was treated right
    Contact ray graham at burgdesign.com.au (is in Melbourne) and ask him about C1 lacquer
    We use this exclusively in Adelaide.

It can permanently coat and colour enhance paint, ext trim, leather, vinyl and more
    Hi SVR thanks for the info
    I spoke to one of the fellas who do the Gtechniq application in Vic . I am going to take my new xr6 to him for a look and also he will show me what they do.
    They are only 20 mins from me.

I also spoke to a detailer at the dealership where i am buying my car. He preps all the used cars for the dealers. He reckons not to spend all that money on getting a paint protection as they just dont last. He reckons every 4-6 months it should be detailed with something like a good Mothers Carnuba Wax etc.
    Im going for a look anyway as the fellow at Gtechniq said about $400-00 if car has no swirl marks etc. and an extra couple of hundred if it needs to have swirls and spiderwebs buffed out
    The you tube clips certainly look amazing after application but best to see with own eyes
    I'll let you guys know what i find out
    Last edited by rocket09; 14-09-2009 at 12:04 PM.

Banned
    Ride
    fwd

you can try the starter kit from mothers

Ride
    2009 NITRO XR6

i am looking at the meguiars range, mothers range and autoglym range

My first system to try will be:

Meguiars - Clay Bar , followed by Deep Crystal System Paint Cleaner, then NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 PASTE.

I will take b4 and after pics to show you guys the results if interested

Ride
    2009 NITRO XR6

Follow up to my previous post.
    After giving my car its first "proper" wash i found that it didnt need clay bar.
    I used Autoglym car shampoo , followed by autoglym super resin polish, then mothers carnuaba wax in a liquid.

I used microfibre towels for everything and a microfible noodle wash mit.
    A microfible waffle weave drying towel from Kenco was excellent - i dried the whole car only having to slightly wring it out once. So much better and gentler on the car that a chamois - anyone that is still using the old style chamois GET RID OF IT !!
    Last edited by rocket09; 24-09-2009 at 09:11 AM.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Last edited by derfla67; 17-03-2011 at 10:35 AM.

Ride
    2009 NITRO XR6

Quote Originally Posted by derfla67 View Post
    I think to many people buy a brand new car ..wash and polish it soon as they get home ..this goes on for about a month ...then they lose interest and it becomes like the rest out there...name of the game is to wash it every week useing meguiars wash ..wipe over steering wheel gear shift... all areas you touch...also throw over seat covers are good cos you can wash covers and vac seat ..dont forget floor cover for boot area and if you have a dog get a cover for rear seat...also keep in boot large plasic bucket for liquids..milk ect...oh yes i use meguiars tech wax every two or three months ..had my car almost three years and it looks like its just out the show room .
    You are right, for some the novelty wears off quickly but ive always taken great care in my cars. I had an 03 Subaru Liberty 2 cars ago and when i traded it in at a subaru dealer they said it was the best kept car they had seen on a trade in (bad move for them as i pushed up my price further). They didnt have to do anything with it except add a huge margin on it and sell it to the first person that saw it. It didnt last a week on the web and was actually bought by a guy that lives up the road so i still see it.Not as clean as when i had it though
    As for polish brands it comes to personal choice. Ive used most of the top brands but like the AutoGlym for the wash and polish and the Mothers Carnuaba Wax.

Mr Dream Machines
    Ride
    98 AU XR6 VCT sedan

RE: paint protection

Gtechniq is one of the most highly respected companies in Europe now, with their crystal Lacquer that I use exclusively in SA being co developed with BASF coatings who make some of the worlds best paints for custom paint shops

Here are the available systems

Acrylic -
    Klasse, Carlack, Jeffs Werkstatt and many others

many are water soluble which is not so good for durability
    4 to 6 months lifespan unless treated with lots of TLC

Teflon or Teflon/Acrylic blend
    These are mostly not water soluble but can crack or change the characteristics of the paint and be very hard to get off

The only one of these that I actually like is Toughseal
    These are extremely glossy but teflon can cause issues.

German Polymers
    These are the newer ones such as Pinnacle, Wolfgang, Meguiars etc
    longer durability but again, mere surface tension protection and a mixed bag of results

Ideal for those who like to detail their car in depth every four, six, nine or twelve months

Silicate Ion or Quartz
    This lot includes the crystal Lacquer and Glare systems
    These create incredible surface tension but unlike all others, actually go into the paint and become part of it and replenish the clear coat with actual glass

Not water soluble, extremely glossy and very optically clear.

Ride
    FG G6 limited ed

SVR, picked up my new FGG6 LE just over a week ago, dealer suggested a paint and interior protection, plastic, vinyl, leather treatment which is guaranteed for the LIFE of the car, it,s A,P., Advanced Protection, the product is called Fusion, have you heard of it or had anything to do with it? Protects from industrial fallout, bird and bat droppings, fading etc, paint and interior. Anyway it sounded ok so i had it done before delivery. thanks, seebrees.

Ride
    2009 NITRO XR6

Quote Originally Posted by seebrees View Post
    SVR, picked up my new FGG6 LE just over a week ago, dealer suggested a paint and interior protection, plastic, vinyl, leather treatment which is guaranteed for the LIFE of the car, it,s A,P., Advanced Protection, the product is called Fusion, have you heard of it or had anything to do with it? Protects from industrial fallout, bird and bat droppings, fading etc, paint and interior. Anyway it sounded ok so i had it done before delivery. thanks, seebrees.
    Hi seebrees

Car detailers will advise against getting these products as they believe they just dont last.
    I had my last 2 car treated with similar products to yours and they still looked pretty damn good after 3 years.
    I didnt get it done this time as i want to self manage its appearance although i am looking into the crystal lacquer system

Banned

I had the full paint package on the Territory & after about 6 months stopped using the special polish & started waxing it with aftermarket wax, produced a much better result but harder work lol
    Rod ur everywhere

Ride
    2009 NITRO XR6

Quote Originally Posted by Seduce XR6 View Post
    I had the full paint package on the Territory & after about 6 months stopped using the special polish & started waxing it with aftermarket wax, produced a much better result but harder work lol
    Rod ur everywhere
    yeah everywhere except working !!

Mr Dream Machines
    Ride
    98 AU XR6 VCT sedan

Quote Originally Posted by rocket09 View Post
    Hi seebrees

Car detailers will advise against getting these products as they believe they just dont last.
    I had my last 2 car treated with similar products to yours and they still looked pretty damn good after 3 years.
    I didnt get it done this time as i want to self manage its appearance although i am looking into the crystal lacquer system
    I unlike many detailers, actually do the opposite, I love surface protection
    Forgetting about how you maintain it (how often owners wash the grime off) - these modern coatings from Echelon in Japan (got my samples today) and Gtechniq crystal lacquer, last the longest - around 2 to 3 years with Glare's Silicate Ion Glass technology being the next longest lasting and that actually thickens the paint film up again

Polymers and Acrylic's tend to give excellent depth, clarity and wetness but 4 to 9 months protection. so it all depends on how often you want to completely refinish the paint (clay, coating or sealant strip off, polish - non abrasive or abrasive and reseal the paint

the lacquer can be topped up with itself, three coats after you finish polishing the paint. once thats done, you can treat it like pain (clay it, glaze it and even lightly polish it)

all protective systems repel fallout somewhat but on the horizontal panels, any car will get some fallout on it, it won't be much compared to a naked paint finish

Ride
    2008 FG XR 6 TURBO

Quote Originally Posted by SVR View Post
    I unlike many detailers, actually do the opposite, I love surface protection
    Forgetting about how you maintain it (how often owners wash the grime off) - these modern coatings from Echelon in Japan (got my samples today) and Gtechniq crystal lacquer, last the longest - around 2 to 3 years with Glare's Silicate Ion Glass technology being the next longest lasting and that actually thickens the paint film up again

Polymers and Acrylic's tend to give excellent depth, clarity and wetness but 4 to 9 months protection. so it all depends on how often you want to completely refinish the paint (clay, coating or sealant strip off, polish - non abrasive or abrasive and reseal the paint

the lacquer can be topped up with itself, three coats after you finish polishing the paint. once thats done, you can treat it like pain (clay it, glaze it and even lightly polish it)

all protective systems repel fallout somewhat but on the horizontal panels, any car will get some fallout on it, it won't be much compared to a naked paint finish
    Dude, I live in Brisbane, where can I get your amazing services or products up this end of the country please???
    I currently own an FG XR6 T in nitro, and wish to keep it looking real sexy!!
    At the moment I'm washing it once a week, immediately toweling it off then I top it up with a quick detailer
    EVENTUALLY WE WILL CONVINCE THEM ALL !!

Ride
    XLT Ranga

Ill have to ask the cook as she dose all the polishing around here!

Ride
    2004 BA Mk2 XT 6CYL

I am a detailer and best wax by far is Meguiars YELLOW 26, easy to apply and to buff off, it also has a slight filler agent which will hide some of your slight spider web looking marks caused by people using a **** quality sponge, only ever use a high quality micro fibre sponge

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information