+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: auII dash lights. Instruments lights work but...

Ride
    AU Series 3 Forte

Question auII dash lights. Instruments lights work but...

I bought an ex taxi.

It's an AUII. Not bad for a vehicle with 800,000 km's on it.
    Of course; it didn't come with the normal falcon book. And the back of the fuse panel has no diagram on it to say which fuse is which.

I have a problem with the dash lights. The lights in the instruments work, but the rest of the dash, including the lcd in the binacle, has no back lights.

I was wondering if there was a fuse for separate parts of the dash lighting, or if they all work off the same fuse.

Hope someone can help me. Can't get a hold of a manual at present, and the lack of lighting is making it difficult to operate the car at night.

Thanks in advance

Ride
    AUII XR8 manual ute.

Default Re: auII dash lights. Instruments lights work but...

Given that it's fairly common for the bulbs to fail in the demister, and the clock; I wouldn't be suprised if every one of the heater control panel ones had failed in a high miler like yours. It's a bit of a mongrel job to get out though because there are two of the four bolts behind the stereo, and it's not easy to get out.

Ride
    AU Series 3 Forte

That's what I was afraid of... Thanks mate. I'll get back to you in a couple of months when I'm finished. :S

Really thanks.

Ride
    1998 au 1

and i will get back to you all with something im doing over the next weekends im changing all of my dash lights in the au over to L E D style globes use less power and never bust

gonna put blue behind the spedo rpm's fuel etc... heater control is gonna be red AC side blue rest of them bright white

and im putting driving lights in when i get a new front bar gonna stick LED in them too

also thinking of sticking some strobing LEDs in my rear view mirror for show purposes :S i unno that could be a pain

me and my friends made a Ford badge with Blue LEDs for the oval and white LEDs for the text cops told me to pull it off as soon as i did it snapped the board so i couldnt even re fit it in the engine bay
    CAR: Ford AU Falcon - 6cyl - CAPA Standard Performance Tune
    XR6T Intake - Ceramic Pacemaker Headers - High Flow Cat - 2 1/2" Redback Exhaust system.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    AU II Fairlane Ghia

Pull out dash should be 2 blubs Near oppsite LCD should be green and use small screw driver to turn them then should just pop up little it then slowy use flat or small screw drver and left it out cheap way found is auto eltronic place will have them cost like 4.00 or used ford it. Like 4.00 for one blub. Then I check other ones like near speedo temp fuel might be blown if are replace if not just put blub back in. Found ther is like 30 in fairlane from climate control and plus dash like Xmas tree now lol
    Last edited by bmwboi36; 10-09-2009 at 01:34 AM.

Ride
    BAII XR6T ute

Quote Originally Posted by AUFU98 View Post
    and i will get back to you all with something im doing over the next weekends im changing all of my dash lights in the au over to L E D style globes use less power and never bust
    doing that myself real soon, bought the bulbs, just waiting for a chance to get at it...i've been putting blue LED's in the car - interior light, boot & t-bar light are already done in blue LED...would love a little walkthrough to help me...few pics on pulling apart the dash would be a godsend...that's one thing that has me a bit nervous about messing with my car

Forum Regular
    Ride
    AU II Fairlane Ghia

INSTRUMENT CLUSTER Remove
    1. From the instrument cluster retaining screws remove the plastic cap covers.
    2. Remove the two instrument cluster retaining screws from instrument cluster.
    3. Remove instrument cluster by carefully pulling the cluster squarely from dash panel to prevent damage to surrounds.
    4. Disconnect electrical wiring harness and fully remove instrument cluster.

I.Partially install instrument cluster and reconnect electrical wiring harness.
    2. Fully install the instrument cluster squarely being careful not to damage surrounding instrument panel.
    3.Install the two instrument cluster screws and tighten.
    4. Fit two new cover caps to instrument cluster retaining screws and test operation of instrument cluster.
    Last edited by bmwboi36; 10-09-2009 at 06:56 PM.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    99 AU1 Forte Wagon

im hoping to do this idea to my car aswell..

Is it really as simple as 'bmwboi36' says?

And if i was to take it out to change the globes to more colorful ones, is it an easy job to do? .. are the globes soldered to a circuit board? or are they actural globes that click into a socket? (Because i heard that the BF Falcons have come sorta curcuit-board thing)

thanks guys..

Also if the lights do connect to a socket type fitting, which sorta globes do i look for? T5 globes seam to be the most popular on ebay, are the T5 globes what i use?

thanks again.
    Last edited by a1k3m1; 10-09-2009 at 07:55 PM. Reason: wanted to ask another question without double posting

Ride
    AUII XR8 manual ute.

The lights are a bulb with leads that wrap around the holder to make contact. Go to the following thread for an idea - all of the cluster lights are the same.
    http://www.fordaustraliaforums.com/f...ad.php?t=36537

As for the dash peice there are two bolts behind the stereo as well as the ashtray, covered here by a few of us.
    http://www.fordaustraliaforums.com/f...ight=au+stereo

Forum Regular
    Ride
    99 AU1 Forte Wagon

cool mate, thanks for the info!

Ride
    BAII XR6T ute

Quote Originally Posted by a1k3m1 View Post
    cool mate, thanks for the info!
    agreed...help is most appreciated

Ride
    2000 AU FAirlane

I pulled the dash apart on my 00 AU Fairlane today to install LED back lights and to get a dead mothout of the speedo custer.
    I had purchased T5 Led's and found that there are two types globes in the speedo cluster. one type are a plastic base with a wedge globe attached. they look like they are built into the plastic bayonet piece 'cause I couldnt pull the globe out! even tried pliers with plastic tape so as to not crush the glass. and the second type a black flat weird looking thing that I couldn;t even work out how to pull out of the cluster? must be different LED's I need?

also on re assembly I have lost almost all the illumination on the odometer. can just see the numbers but the screen is very black on one side.

Oh WHY must I play!?

Forum Regular
    Ride
    99 AU1 Forte Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by jag6670@bigpond.com View Post
    Oh WHY must I play!?
    hahah as dad always told me, dont touch what isnt already broken!!

Forum Regular
    Ride
    AU II Fairlane Ghia

U need take dash out and replace the blown blubes or I found giving it light hit in right place may work lol I recommed when doin replace hole lot start with fresh lot

Ride
    AUII XR8 manual ute.

I've been trying to work out a way of modifying them across to LED's too but have had real difficulties working out how. I got some here that are sort of blue but they emit way more UV than you realise until something reactive goes past them.

Ride
    BAII XR6T ute

just put blue LED's in my ride. will post pics later...now waiting till it gets dark so i can see just how well they light up, but it looks good particularly on the outer edges, speedo seems a little dull compared to the rest, but maybe i just missed one.

Ride
    BAII XR6T ute

nice & blue...needles are all but invisible though - any ideas on an easy fix for that?
    Attached Images

Ride
    2000 AU FAirlane

someone here mentioned that the LED's create quite a lot of UV light. I am guessing here but if you use fluorescent glow in the dark type paint on the needles, they might reflect a luminescence?
    what LED's did you use by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by AdamHomeboy View Post
    nice & blue...needles are all but invisible though - any ideas on an easy fix for that?

Ride
    BAII XR6T ute

these ones right here, bought them off ebay, not expecting anything good, but for less than 10 bucks including delivery...it's golden

Ride
    2000 AU FAirlane

I also bought these! but way different to the original in my AU series 1 dash.
    unless you did some modification how the hell dod you get them to fit?

these ones right here, bought them off ebay, not expecting anything good, but for less than 10 bucks including delivery...it's golden

Ride
    AUII XR8 manual ute.

Painting the needles white will make them far more visible, or a similar light colour if you so choose. Be very careful here as lots of paint on an instrument needle can throw the instrument out quite a bit.

Ride
    BAII XR6T ute

Quote Originally Posted by jag6670@bigpond.com View Post
    I also bought these! but way different to the original in my AU series 1 dash.
    unless you did some modification how the hell dod you get them to fit?
    well, i'm in a series 2, so i can't comment on your series 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwight
    Painting the needles white will make them far more visible, or a similar light colour if you so choose. Be very careful here as lots of paint on an instrument needle can throw the instrument out quite a bit.
    yeah, just what i was thinking...i'll hit it with some white or maybe fluorescent paint...but i'll be careful to keep the thickness of the paint down

Ride
    BAII XR6T ute

blinker icons on dash are not visible with blue led light...there are 4 of the 10 lights in the instrument cluster with black sockets, the other 6 are grey - if you do led's, leave original bulbs in the black sockets, or at least put white led's in those ones...the blue led's (and i assume most other colours) are not bright enough for the blinker icons...i put the old bulbs back in these spots, & it's golden.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to a particular brand/type of paint i should use on the needles?
    I'll hit it with whatever housepaint or something i have lying around come the weekend if i gain no advice
    Last edited by AdamHomeboy; 21-09-2009 at 06:00 PM. Reason: spelling catastrophies

Ride
    AUII XR8 manual ute.

Strangely my first inclination would be to try nail polish.

Ride
    BAII XR6T ute

i was thinking that...or liquid paper...but thought both might be heavier than other paint options

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information