+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: rubbing/shuddering noise while turning @ low speed

Ride
    2004 Ford Falcon XT

Default rubbing/shuddering noise while turning @ low speed

Hi All,

This is my first post in this forum and wanted to ask about a rubbing/shuddering noise when I turn "left" only and only at very low speeds (say 5-15km/h). E.g. when pulling into a parking spot. Doesn't do it when driving at normal road speeds and turning left. Just when turning slowly with/without braking. It's a BA Falcon XT II and with 160,000km's.

Could it possibly be something to do with the right side diff? I initially thought it was due to a lack of power steering fluid. And so, when I saw that my p/s fluid was low and filled er up, problem went away for a while. But now, it's back. Help! Has anyone else had the same problem on a BA? If not, is there anyone out there who can guide me in the right direction? Would be immensely appreciated.

Cheers,
    NaweedS

Experienced Member
    Ride
    FG G6, BF2 Ex - Taxi

Default Re: rubbing/shuddering noise while turning @ low speed

Could be a lower ball joint or a front wheel bearing / hub.

Ride
    2004 Ford Falcon XT

Thanks heaps for that Maco.

I'll keep that in mind when I take it to the workshop to get it checked. Just wanted a backup opinion in case they stuff me around.. =) .. Cheers!

Ride
    BA XR6T

Hey mate

I've got the exact same problem with my BA XR6T.

The shuddering noise only happens in car parks and mainly when turning left. It does happen when turning to the right aswell but only occasionly. It also seems to be much worse once the car has warmed up.

Took it to Ford they said it was air in the power steering lines and they replaced a pipe coming out of the power steering pump, apparently it's pretty common. However, this didn't rectify the fault.

I took it back and they replaced the fluid in the lines and tightened everything, the problem is still there though!

I'm taking it back for a third time next week, they still seem confident that they haven't miss-diagnosed it and the replacement part may have been faulty aswell.

I'll let you know how I go.

Would be interested to know what your mechanic said too.

Cheers,

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    XD XE ED & BA XR8

u sure its not the surface of the carpark??? does it do it on a normal road surface too???
    Isn't it good when everything just works!!

Ride
    BA XR6T

It does it on all surfaces, (haven't tried a dirt road though)

I think your right though as the smooth shiny surfaces are definately worse.

Even so, it's never happened with any other vehicle I've driven, maybe it's a factory fault.

Experienced Member
    Ride
    BF Mk11 SR, NF V8

This was covered elsewhere some time ago, but the bottom line is..nothing to worry about.

It has to do with wide tyres, they shudder when turning on smooth surfaces.

Our BF had got over it, then last week had new tyres fitted to the front and the shudder came back.

By all means get the front end checked, but it's a characteristic of the Falcon, if you're sure the front is OK don't worry about it.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    Nov 03 Fairmont

could be the power steering rack loose

Ride
    BA XR6T

Thanks for the info,

Only bought the car a month ago,

It's got the factory 17's so you'd think the power steering pump would be designed to handle em. I was thinking, as the car idles higher when it's cold is maybe the reason it get's worse once the engine has warmed up.

Taking it to ford again next week for them to have a third look. I'm thinkin I paid $340 to get a new power steering pipe when it never needed to be replaced, it hasn't fixed or improved the problem. It was never leaking any fluid.

Had a look at some previous posts, seems like a pretty common problem.

Thanks for the reply's.

Ride
    BA XR6T

Thought I'd mention a couple of other niggly problems which may be related,

The steering wheel vibrates badly at around 100km,

This comes and go's at highway speed but is there more often than not. I had a wheel alignment and balance at Bob Jane's but the probelm hasn't improved.

There is also a bit of a rattling metal on metal sound from under the front end when the vehicle travels over bumps and cracks in the road. This rattling go's away when braking. Disks and Pads are fine.

After reading previous threads I was thinking that the pins on the calipers may need to be greased.

Any thought would be appreciated,

Cheers

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    XD XE ED & BA XR8

rattle is the front brakes.... you can have it looked at 100 times and they will never fix it... they siliconed my pads to my calipers last time i took it back for that... that was a ford dealer too.

the vivration at 100 would be wheel balance.... unless you have non factory wheels on it that dont center the wheel on the hub.
    Isn't it good when everything just works!!

Ride
    BA XR6T

Cheers Bass,

Factory rims, but new tires were put on the front end before I bought the vehicle,

Not too worried about the rattly noise, even though it sounds like a taxi thats done 400Km, it doesn't effect the drive.

The vibration at 100Km and the shudder at low speed is very annoying though, thinking about getting rid of it.

Ride
    2004 VIXEN RED XR6

I own a 2004 MK1 BA XR6 with 14,000kms and I have the same shudder problem when I drive into my shed and turn slightly left when at low speed,even today parking at the supermarket I have a shudder when turning left into the park.I had factory 17' wheels and Dunlop tyres,now have new BF 18" Typhoon wheels and brand new tyres still does it????

Ride
    xr6

the shuddering when turning at low speeds is usually caused when you turn the steering wheel with the car off,

try turning the steering wheel full lock left and right for a few seconds each time with the powersteering cap off to see if it solves it and turn the car off and on a few times with the cap off,\

if not then the drivebelt towards the front of the engine has to be pulled off and the powesteering pulley needs to be spun a few dozen times to bleed excess air out

Ride
    BA XR6T

After Ford had a third look they did a full flush of the power steering fluid. This has improved the shuddering noise as the fluid was contaminated.

However, the shuddering noise is still there slightly.

They also machined all 4 disks which has stoped the steering wheel from vibrating when braking.

However, the steering still vibrates at highway speed.

At the end of the day I'm not real happy with it.

With all due respect, I won't ever be buying a Ford again.

Ride
    BF 06 4.0l

I have encountered this problem in both my BA and BF coons.
    The noise sounds like the powersteering pump is overloading when turning at low speed (idling speed). Both cars never had the problem initially. the first time it started happening in the ba I didnt know what caused it cept that it started happening after i had the front jacked up and manually steered the wheels left and right several times while checking the boots. Thats when the problem started on the ba. Then i bought the BF, it had no shudder initially either. Until, one day i jacked the front wheels up to skim the rotors and change the pads. I also steered the wheels back and forth whiel the car was jacked up. the BF now also shudders when steering at idle speed. the BF has only done 50k.
    although i have never completely got rid of the shudder, the only thing that has worked, best, is too remove the p/steer cap and turn wheels in hard lock for a few secs left then right. I believe it is an "air" in the fluid issue. my conclusion: they just dont make em like they used too...

Ride
    BA Falcon

For what its worth mine does it to ,not very often and mainly at low speed and turning left in carparks must be real common.
    I have changed fluid and checked all is tight.

Ride
    nl fairlane

i have ba g220 which had this problem.From what i gather the problem with shudder whilst turning in the ba/f's has more to do with the rear wheels than the front, and seeing as we have a lot of mechanics working for employers so the only thing they care about is pay day and not so much your car and they don't bother to learn to much at all about new cars and new technology because they think they already know,or maybe this has just been my prob.
    See with the rear being independent susp. the rear and front wheels need to be aligned with each other aswell PROPERLY. not just near enough. i had the problem turning to the right. the problem was picked up by a mate of mine when the car was lowered,and no probs now.as for shudder at speed brakes are the problem see the trade off for less brake fade in fords in a lot of force on discs,standards get hot fast and tend to warp and they don't last as long as ford claims go after market but good ones

Ride
    nl fairlane

and sorry tim your ford had some probs but overall they are prety good,my missus bought a brand new 08 ss common***** and had nothing but probs from cruise cont. that cut out when i liked ,steering rack got replaced 3200km's in brake booster and master brake rotors all round. $900 in various sensors inc. fitting,still to have the car missing and farting at 70 to 80k's and missing and shuddering at 100 in 4th bad needless to say 9 months later we sold it and lost a thousand for every month we had it not inc. costs, so maybe a ford ain't that bad now got a g6e very nice car although still not as good as the g220 for class i reckon and i WAS a holden SKIRT

Ride
    BA XR6T

Thanks for the input guys. I'm not so disapointed with the car itself, the shudder at low speeds is only minor but the steering wheel shake at 100Kmph is quite annoying. I was mainly dissapointed with the Ford service center, you would assume that because they work on these vehicles day in day out they should be able to repair minor common problems. I don't mind paying to get problems fixed but I've taken it in three times and the problems still exist.

Ride
    BA Fairmont Ghia

Hi all

I have a ser 1 ba Ghia which had exactly the same problem I got the vehicle at 79,000K with the exception of this the car is top notch cond.

2 hours ago the problem was fixed !!!

1 the High speed shake is caused by eather the brakes or the rotors.

I fitted a brand new set of Bendix Ultra ceramic pads, new DBA street series slotted rotors, bled the entire break system in line with the sevice manual = The high speed steering wheel vibration GONE. What a pleasure to drive the car now !!!!!

The shuder in the steering whn turning is usualy caused by air in the system, raise dealers can blled the system with a evac machine but you can do it manualy and normaly should do the trick.

When cold Raise the front end of the car so both front wheels are fo the ground,
    With the engine off turn the steering full lock to the left
    Now make sure the steering fluid is at the correct level
    Turn the steering wheel lock to lock at least 30 times
    Look at the fluid in the reservoir is it bubles this is the air in the system being expeld.
    return the wheels to the centre (straigt ahead position )
    Start the engine and you should feel and hear some noise from the ps pump
    With the engine running turn the wheels lock to lock at least 10 to 20 times at the end there should be no noise at all and the steering wheels should be as smooth as silk.
    Swith the enfine off with the wheels in the stright ahead posirion and lower the car.
    Start the engine and turn the wheels left to right, all things being equal there should be no shudder.
    If no shudder present problem fixed.

This I did as I said 2 hours ago problem's no lnge there.

Hop it works for you.

regards

Forum Regular
    Ride
    Nov 03 Fairmont

you can also drive slowly turning the wheel from lock to lock repeatedly - after a while of doing this the shudder stops

i replaced my rotors with dba slotted too and bendix ct pads and they were fine for a while but now it seems the new rotors are warped again - others told me bendix cts aren't good on BAs ... it seems they were right

Ride
    BA Fairmont Ghia

''i replaced my rotors with dba slotted too and bendix ct pads and they were fine for a while but now it seems the new rotors are warped again - others told me bendix cts aren't good on BAs ... it seems they were right"

DDDP - The bendix Ultra Premium Ceramic pads, like many other high quality pads can produce a lot of heat when first fitted to the car, with new rotors. To stop the them warping you need to run the things in for a few days.

That means no high speed stops if you can avoid it, brake a tad earlier in normal trafic, and try and avoid extended periods under btakes. After a day or so you will notice the brake pedal will feel a bit firmer also.

Just like a new engine they need to be run in !!! If you over heat them early on after install the pads dont last as long and the rotors will warp !!!

As for my issue - time will tell

Forum Regular
    Ride
    Nov 03 Fairmont

they were run in alright Johnyp - as per the instructions on the boxes the rotors came in

5000ks later brake shudder is back - going to machine the rotors and change pads

probably fit QFM pads like these
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=280366560875

Ride
    BA XLS UTE / BF GHIA

Quote Originally Posted by dddp View Post
    they were run in alright Johnyp - as per the instructions on the boxes the rotors came in

5000ks later brake shudder is back - going to machine the rotors and change pads

probably fit QFM pads like these
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=280366560875
    Did you check to see if the sliding part of the caliper ( the pins and the hole they go into ) are worn

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information