+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Falcon EF 1995 Wagon with EEC-V and 1996 motor

Ride
    Falcon

Default Falcon EF 1995 Wagon with EEC-V and 1996 motor

Hi,

I have tried to do the self test using thousands of pieces of literature from all over the globe. Have cursed and cut myself and generally ignored the family.

Now it is time for me to ask the experts!

Where do I locate the STI Input plug?

I have been lead to believe it is within the fuse box under the steering wheel, but have been unsuccessful at obtaining the engine light.

Any help - especially with pictures - would be appreciated.

All links I have followed have generally come to dead ends.

Instructions I am following are as follows:

To Perform a Key On/Engine Off (KOEO) Self Test,

1. With the Ignition Switch Off, Connect the Engine STI Input to ground, (The STI Input is the First pin from the left, upper row, connect this to the Pin directly below it)

2. Connect a LED, Multimeter, Lamp, or Buzzer to the STO Pin, and ground. (The STO Pin is the 5th Pin from the Left, on the upper Row.)

3. Turn the Ignition Switch to On, But DO NOT START the Engine

4. Observe the Codes.

These codes will be displayed in the following sequence,
    1. On Demand Codes - Hard Faults
    2. Separator Code - Numeral 10
    3. Memory Codes - Intermittent Faults.

Regards

Ride
    AU3 XR8, NCII

Default Re: Falcon EF 1995 Wagon with EEC-V and 1996 motor

The Diagnostics port is in the fusebox under the steering wheel, but I do not see how you can get a KOEO test to do any good if you don't have a diagnostic tool to read information off. I also found that this model had such a basic OBD setup that most of the time, getting data off the OBD diagostic tool was a bit of a waste of time. It is a very early incarnation of a now very powerful diagnostic system, so if your car has a problem, solving it "the old way" is probably better anyway. Hope I helped at all
    Drive a Ford in Victoria? Join the all new FAF Blue Oval Owners Club!

PM me or Elements to join!

Quote Originally Posted by JPD80 View Post
    What can I say, Holden's gearbox capability is only out shone by the V6's peformance.

Ride
    Falcon

Thanks for your help.

I am also doing the engine on test but didn't post this to save room on the thread.

I am assuming when they say "The STI Input is the First pin from the left, upper row, connect this to the Pin directly below it" I am looking at the white socket the right way up.

I know this sounds stupid but there is no way of telling if they are installed differently over different models.

Regards,

Ride
    AU3 XR8, NCII

If you short the top left pin with the one below it, it should put the car in test mode. This is a test that is done while the engine is running, and should be raising RPM to 1500. This is used to do the timing on a EL as well (EF had a coil pack), but I couldn't get it working on my EL either... I ended up timing it by feel...
    Drive a Ford in Victoria? Join the all new FAF Blue Oval Owners Club!

PM me or Elements to join!

Quote Originally Posted by JPD80 View Post
    What can I say, Holden's gearbox capability is only out shone by the V6's peformance.

Ride
    EF Fairmont

Mostly the instructions you have are correct, but here's some more help:

We're working with the DIAGNOSIS connector in the fuse box under and to the right of the steering wheel inside the car (EF)

The short/bridge from top left to the bottom left pin immediately below is needed to enable the test mode. This can be done carefully with a blue coloured spade connector. Next hookup the test light between fifth pin from top left and bottom right corner. Be REALLY CAREFUL as adjacent pins have voltages that can do damage to each other, so use fully insulated spade connectors. I found that some speaker cables from a cheap stereo have just the right sized mini-spade connector complete with clear sleeving. Make sure you have the right tools before you do this job!

I'm assuming that you're using a LED, and if so you can pre-check that you have it connected the correct way around because it comes on solid in the ACC key position when connected properly. Then when turning the key to KOEO position (ignition on but not started), the LED will flicker fast for about two seconds after an initial waiting time of about 4-5sec, then the codes start coming. 1-1-1 is "all good" and you'll always get that, so if not then something is wrong.

Clear the codes by pulling off the bridge just as the codes start to be pulsed, then recheck, should get 1-1-1 only if all ok.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information