View Poll Results: What fuel do you use in your BA or similar falcon?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Regular~91

15 48.39%

6 19.35%
  • 98 octane Bp/Shell

8 25.81%
  • Ethanol blend

3 9.68%
  • WHY?!~ Economy??

3 9.68%
  • WHY?!~ Price??

5 16.13%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ~Premium or unleaded?~Ba falcon...

Ride
    04 Ba Wagon

Default ~Premium or unleaded?~Ba falcon...

Hi guys, i just bought an 04 ba wagon, 216,000km on clock, full ford servicage etc...sound engine, im still only young, learnt to loose the lead foot after milkshaking my 98 el~twice!, so now im up for economy and mature driving. Ive been using normal unleaded, taking off like a gran ma, staying under 2000rpm using torque of motor to kinda roll to speed limit....im getting about 13.5L-15L/100km around town..

~1 should i try ethanol additive blend?
    ~2 should i try 91? normal?
    ~3 should i try 95?
    ~4 Should i try 98?

What am i going to get best milage from? I drive to and from school everyday, about 7 km each way, go to moore park twice a week which is about 20km each way and some long distance stuff to liverpool every so often...

Ideas...Thoughts?.....Help?.....

Hope to hear from some people soon!
    Mark

Ride
    Waiting to See :-(

Default Re: ~Premium or unleaded?~Ba falcon...

95's a good mix if you can get a constant good blend. Driving 7k's and stopping then Driving 7 k's at the end of the day will not get you good economy!!! The car is not getting to opperating temperature so cannot function at it's best. (Get a puch bike ).
    I'm using e10 in the current driver and am having no drama's with economy etc but this thing hasn't done 2500km yet so not fair comparison.
    Nil Coitus Circum

Experienced Member
    Ride
    BF Mk11 SR, NF V8

Smile Re: ~Premium or unleaded?~Ba falcon...

For the type of travelling you do I would suggest 91 would be OK. If the car was to be given some serious hard work, then go for the 95 or 98.

I base this on my experience as a Grey Nomad. Our '95 V8 NF Lizzie hates 91 octane when towing, would often knock when starting off after refuelling until the computer sorted out the timing.
    On PULP she pulls better, just has more power.

We now have a BF MK11 for towing, and with a 10.3:1 compression ratio, in spite of Fords recommendation to use 91 octane, an engine like the Barra 190 deserves better, I believe using PULP enables it to develop it's full power, the computer adjusts, and she is more gutsy than the Lizzie with the van connected. The VCT also helps, of course.

Just my observations, others may differ in their advice.

You have bought a good car, I'm sure she will serve you well.

Ride
    04 Ba Wagon

Cheers! Yeah all advice taken on board!
    i mean im only 17, so learning everything i can take in...last falcon was lpg and my 4x4 was a hilux TD, so i havent had a astraight petrol before and i know its really easy to use alot of money in fuel, so learning from everyones experiences is good!

i refilled today..was cheap, 133c for 91 at caltex, first half tank...did 220km it used 37L, i admit i was playing around with the sequential shift a fair bit, so my L/100km is crap...this tank ill use grandma right foot...

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    XD XE ED & BA XR8

in my experience grandma driving isnt the best way to maximise economy. the best way i found was to drive like my dad. accelerate, dont be shy, not too heavy, use the torque not the power. and once you have your speed, coast. the car will roll for a while. you only need to accelerate to maitain your speed then coast as much as you can. you dont need to accelerate to get to a red light either. coast again. this really works, especialy in a auto. in a manual its annoying but works also. If i do this in my Hiace, i actually save 40L to the 1100kms.

A sports exhaust will kill your economy, especially if you like the sound, you will find that you drive to make it sound great rather than drive to get from A to B.

use the cars kinetic energy. Guys that drive V8 fairlanes on long distance trips know what im on about. they are so economical on the freeway coz of the kinetic energy. more economical than a 6cyl falcon.

I tried the grandma thing years back and was actually surprised at how bad it was. it was in a XF 4.1. the key is to coast. constant pedal to maintain your speed like cruize control isnt economical at speeds under 75 or 80. but anything above that coasting may loose your momentum

and the windsor V8 Efi alwas pings on 91 octane. they all do it. i found the 95 octane best for the windsor. no ping and great economy. i found no benifit from 98.
    Last edited by Bass; 24-08-2008 at 10:10 PM.
    Isn't it good when everything just works!!

Ride
    04 Ba Wagon

Yeah a mates dad told me the thing bout coasting, under 2000 rpm to speed limit, then just breathe on accelerator to maintain speed, i managed to get another 60km out of my last tank, from 440 to 500km out of about 55l...
    thats like 11l/100 for around town, i thought that was fantastic...i guess regular servicing does help...

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    XD XE ED & BA XR8

it really works and the savings are better than worrying about the cost of the next fill. and its surprising how far the car will maintain its speed without the pedal on the juice.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    Ego BFII Fairmont Gh

I suggest you actually try it and see

But use the following procedure

Using your usual fuel (the stuff you put in the last two tanks)

1) Note you starting KM
    2) Fill up
    3) Drive in your usual driving pattern until there is about 80K remaining. (or fuel light constantly on - some reliable event)
    4) Fill up (noting Litres)
    5) Drive in your usual driving pattern until there is about 80K remaining. (or fuel light constantly on - some reliable event)

6) Fill up with second fuel type (noting Litres and KM travelled - then calculate Litres per100K for your usual fuel)

7) Drive in your usual driving pattern until there is about 80K remaining. (or fuel light constantly on - some reliable event)
    - this tank we will not count in comparison as it is diluted

8) Note your new starting KM
    9) Fill up
    10) Drive in your usual driving pattern until there is about 80K remaining. (or fuel light constantly on - some reliable event)
    11) Fill up (noting Litres)
    12) Drive in your usual driving pattern until there is about 80K remaining. (or fuel light constantly on - some reliable event)

13) Fill up with third fuel type (if you want) (noting Litres and KM travelled - then calculate Litres per100K for your usual fuel)

If you want to test a new fuel go back to point 7

Key benefits:
    a) use at least 2 tanks, or two weeks of driving
    b) always run your tank down to the lowest convenient place - the same each time
    c) dont count the km on your changeover tankful - it is blended (if you are patient you code do two change over tanks

Then with the difference in consumption as say a percentage, you are in a position to evaluate the cost at the pump.

I use about 8% if 98 is less than 8% dearer than 95 I will buy it - and that was based on an EFII

Ride
    04 Ba Wagon

egofg, cheers for that! i just filled up with 91 this morn, 135.9c with shopper docket hehe stole mums, so over next fortnight i will do the same, it will take me a bout 2 weeks to empty a tank, i do around 200km a week...
    Thanks again!

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    XD XE ED & BA XR8

has anyone actually found any benifit from using higher octane 95 or 98, bter economy?? i really havnt found much difference in the fuels. i used to fill 95 i the DF ltd coz it pinged on regular unleaded.

Forum Regular
    Ride
    ba fairmont ghia

What sort of fuel economy do you guys get out of your 6cyl and V8`s?

We are just getting acquainted with our BA Fairmont Ghia V8, and so far the best i have achieved is around 16L/ 100 kilometres. Seems a bit thirsty to me!

Not complaining too much, but i do note that the 2002 V8 Statesman is doing about 11.2L/ 100 kilometres.

Does the BA need a good tune up or is this pretty normal?

Rocket.

Ride
    04 Ba Wagon

My 03' ba 6 is running 15L/100 around town on average at the moment...

Forum Regular
    Ride
    ba fairmont ghia

Quote Originally Posted by night_rider_2b View Post
    My 03' ba 6 is running 15L/100 around town on average at the moment...
    Crikey mate! Are you a leadfoot? Is the car out of tune?

Surely for a 6 cylinder this is excessive?

Before i was driving the BA , my VX Berlina 6 cyl was using 11.1L/100 k`s, and i thought it was using too much.

Or maybe i am just an old fart and live in the past.

Rocket.

Ride
    04 Ba Wagon

i am 17 lol....im doing my hsc, so i guess when im running late for school my right foot turns to cement...AH

Forum Regular
    Ride
    ba fairmont ghia

Quote Originally Posted by night_rider_2b View Post
    i am 17 lol....im doing my hsc, so i guess when im running late for school my right foot turns to cement...AH
    Ahhhh...... There you go!

That concrete foot of yours is costing you a lot of money!

Hope you do well in your hsc.

Ease up on that right foot and spend your savings to impress ya sheilas

Rocket.

Ride
    04 Ba Wagon

hehe yeh thats where the dollars go that i earn if and when i work...car drinking habbit and the girl...dont spend anything on myself haha

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information