+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: FG XR6 Turbo Timing Belt

  1. #1
    Forum Regular Jas BMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Ride
    FG XR6 TURBO
    Posts
    49

    Default FG XR6 Turbo Timing Belt

    Just wondering if anyone else any rubber around the pulleys or mounts ?I have shredded rubber on the top of one of the tensioners and noticable wear mark around the outside of the belt.

    Back to Ford she goes.

  2. #2
    Forum Veteran mondeoxr5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    brisvegas
    Ride
    Waiting to See :-(
    Posts
    3,517

    Default Re: FG XR6 Turbo Timing Belt

    Seen rubber dust around ALL pulleys on all large belt vehicles (btw this is the Ancilary Belt Not the Timing Belt) Get most of the dust when new as the belt and pulleys bed in. We have it on FG's all engines and BF2's sitting in the yard. (new cars not driven)
    Get it checked by all means, but I doubt it's a problem.
    To everyone, the best thing to do with any car that you have a Question about (especially under warranty) is get it checked by the dealer. As far as most dealers are concerned the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask.
    Nil Coitus Circum

  3. #3
    Forum Regular Jas BMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Ride
    FG XR6 TURBO
    Posts
    49

    Default Re: FG XR6 Turbo Timing Belt

    Quote Originally Posted by mondeoxr5 View Post
    Seen rubber dust around ALL pulleys on all large belt vehicles (btw this is the Ancilary Belt Not the Timing Belt) Get most of the dust when new as the belt and pulleys bed in. We have it on FG's all engines and BF2's sitting in the yard. (new cars not driven)
    Get it checked by all means, but I doubt it's a problem.
    To everyone, the best thing to do with any car that you have a Question about (especially under warranty) is get it checked by the dealer. As far as most dealers are concerned the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask.
    Thanks for the info.I'll wait till the 3000k check up.If there is something wrong with it,I'll find it.

  4. #4
    Forum Veteran jPod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Werribee
    Age
    28
    Ride
    AU3 XR8, NCII
    Posts
    5,225

    Default Re: FG XR6 Turbo Timing Belt

    Yeah, sounds like a green issue (a brand new part that hasn't bedded yet) or a poorly aligned pulley. Either it will go away by itself when the belt beds or it will take the dealer about 5 minutes to fix.

    One thing you could do is clean all the belt remnants off the pulleys and see how much comes back, if any. There is every chance that if it is a green issue, that it has already bedded, and the rubber you see is what developed while it was bedding.
    Drive a Ford in Victoria? Join the all new FAF Blue Oval Owners Club!

    PM me or Elements to join!

    Quote Originally Posted by JPD80 View Post
    What can I say, Holden's gearbox capability is only out shone by the V6's peformance.



  5. #5
    Forum Regular Jas BMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Ride
    FG XR6 TURBO
    Posts
    49

    Default Re: FG XR6 Turbo Timing Belt

    Quote Originally Posted by jPod View Post
    Yeah, sounds like a green issue (a brand new part that hasn't bedded yet) or a poorly aligned pulley. Either it will go away by itself when the belt beds or it will take the dealer about 5 minutes to fix.

    One thing you could do is clean all the belt remnants off the pulleys and see how much comes back, if any. There is every chance that if it is a green issue, that it has already bedded, and the rubber you see is what developed while it was bedding.
    Allready dusted it off once.Plenty more back.

  6. #6
    Forum Veteran mondeoxr5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    brisvegas
    Ride
    Waiting to See :-(
    Posts
    3,517

    Default Re: FG XR6 Turbo Timing Belt

    Tried to take photo's of yard units to show you, but high quality Nokia camera ain't thath good in close up detail
    Nil Coitus Circum

  7. #7
    Forum Veteran jPod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Werribee
    Age
    28
    Ride
    AU3 XR8, NCII
    Posts
    5,225

    Default Re: FG XR6 Turbo Timing Belt

    Quote Originally Posted by Jas BMF View Post
    Allready dusted it off once.Plenty more back.
    Hmm... Better take it to the dealer. The last thing you need is that belt to snap. Fortunately, they are very strong, and it will probably survive till the service.
    Drive a Ford in Victoria? Join the all new FAF Blue Oval Owners Club!

    PM me or Elements to join!

    Quote Originally Posted by JPD80 View Post
    What can I say, Holden's gearbox capability is only out shone by the V6's peformance.

  8. #8
    Forum Regular Jas BMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Ride
    FG XR6 TURBO
    Posts
    49

    Default Re: FG XR6 Turbo Timing Belt

    Quote Originally Posted by jPod View Post
    Hmm... Better take it to the dealer. The last thing you need is that belt to snap. Fortunately, they are very strong, and it will probably survive till the service.
    Its due for 3000k service next week.I'll wait till then.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Ride
    Ford Falcon XR6 2003
    Posts
    18

    Default Re: FG XR6 Turbo Timing Belt

    Let us know what they say when you take it in mate!

  10. #10
    Forum Regular Jas BMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Ride
    FG XR6 TURBO
    Posts
    49

    Default Re: FG XR6 Turbo Timing Belt

    Quote Originally Posted by Terrorizer View Post
    Let us know what they say when you take it in mate!
    G'day mate,Had it checked out at 3000k,I've done 8000 now and it seems to be ok.

  11. #11
    Junior Member fgnitro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    nsw
    Ride
    2008 fg xr6
    Posts
    14

    Default Re: FG XR6 Turbo Timing Belt

    i have black flakes on my top pulley tentioner its a long belt running in most cars prob do it but the fans prob blow it off

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Ride
    FG XR6T
    Posts
    1

    Default Re: FG XR6 Turbo Timing Belt

    Have a look at the two tubes running across the front of the cylinder head above the top pulley and make sure that the two clips are still in place that support them.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts