+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ford Torino...great car...question about value

Default Ford Torino...great car...question about value

Hi guys.

I'm a fan of the ford torino (1968-71 models).

Here's a 1970 gt

http://www.classicsandcustoms.com/li...4408_18719.jpg

In the US these cars sell privately from 5-8 k $. More for cobras.

Am considering importing a 1970 Torino with the intention of selling it here and making a profit. Importation fees would be approx $3000 inc shipping, customs etc.

I cant find anything on the web that indicates the value of these cars here in Aus, but am sure they would go for over $11,000. Obviously Cobras for much more. They are either 302 2-V or 351W 2-V.

But in all honesty I dont really know how much they would sell for here.

Anybody have an idea?

Cheers.

Btw, not talking about the Gran Torino

Ride
    AU Fairmont Ghia

Default Re: Ford Torino...great car...question about value

Unless you are willing to pay to get the Torinos converted to RHD, i dont like yout chances.
    Anybody over the age of 30 who still uses the bus should consider themselves a failure in life.
    -Margaret Thatcher

Look up the legislation...you dont have to

Ride
    SY Tez & PX Wildtrak

I don't know where you're located but in Victoria, anything over 20 years old does not need to be converted to RHD, but you realy need to check your local registration authorities to be confirm.

No you dont need to convert a 1970 vehicle to RHD. Similar legislation here in QLD.

So anybody have any ideas?

Ride
    F150, Torino Cobra

Any car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. As for Torinos, very few people know what one actually looks like. There would be probably be less than a dozen '70-'71 Torinos in Australia. Are you aware that hardtops and fastbacks are a different body shape? The car you bring over would have to be in very good condition because you won't find any parts for one here. A good '70 is worth much more than $5-8k. For example in the latest issue of the Fairlane Club of America magazine there is a well optioned '70 GT Fastback for sale with an asking price of $19,000. It is a big block car which adds a few grand to the value. There is a '71 in need of restoration on ebay and the bidding is over $12,000.
    The big problem with these cars is rust, they rust in all the wrong places, making clean ones more valuable.
    If you want to own and drive a Torino, I'd say go for it, but I honestly can't see you making any money importing a Torino just to sell.

Ride
    AU Fairmont Ghia

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamojo View Post
    Look up the legislation...you dont have to
    Fair enough, A Torino would be worth far more than 8K here anyway
    Anybody over the age of 30 who still uses the bus should consider themselves a failure in life.
    -Margaret Thatcher

Thanks Stevo. Wasnt aware of the rust issue.

Yeh obviously need to bring it over in a restored condition. And yeh I kno about the hardtops and fastbacks, Cobras etc.

Take a look at this 1970 gt on ebay in good nic, going for 6k.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ksid=p3907.m29

I reckon that would sell for 15k plus here.

The reason why im considering this is because I think its a good time to take advantage of the low american dollar.

I still think its something worth doing... but good point about the parts, rust etc
    Last edited by Dynamojo; 20-04-2008 at 03:34 PM.

Ride
    F150, Torino Cobra

It does have a repaired cracked windshield on the passenger side, passenger side door sticks, torn headliner and some rust in wheel wells and the undercarriage.
    That's why it's relatively cheap. If "undercarriage" means frame rails or torque boxes, that is not a simple repair.

I bought my Cobra in the US in 1995 when the last musclecar rush was happening. I paid $7,000 for it, but a car like mine would probably cost $15,000 in today's market and it wasn't anything special to look at.

If you were to buy an American car, you really take a big risk unless you see it with your own two eyes or at least have someone over there who knows what they're looking at to inspect cars for you.

Take a look around this forum, it will give you an idea of the torino scene. http://www.torinocobra.com/forum/
    Last edited by Stevo; 21-04-2008 at 12:40 AM.

Yeh. Most of these cars have small defects but then again one would expect that for a 38 year old vehicle.

I think the way for me to go is to buy a car for myself and advertise it to see how it sells...and if nobody goes for it...just keep it

I just love the Torino's...glad to see someone in Aus has one

Ride
    XR6 50TH Anniversary

I brought a 1982 Collector Corvette in from the US in 1994 I had it converted and drove it for 4 years before I sold it. Didn't make much money out it but it paid for my trip and the container of parts and other items I had in it. I used George Morales out of Long beach LA to ship it across in a refeer container. Found the car recently on car sales for $50K. One car that was a bargin $1000US for the 351cu Fastback Mustang could not afford to bring both back.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

$10K or $15K for good ones and $20K with a 428ci.

Nice cars, semi tough, look awsome once the ride height is levelled and lowered.

Ride
    AU Fairmont Ghia

Why are you only looking for a Torino, may i ask?
    -Margaret Thatcher

Grabber....10 -15 k for good ones? You talking Torino's?
    What are u basing that on? I'd be surprised to see them sell that low in Aus considering how rare they are here. Some good one's sell for 10k in America.

Not only Torino's, also thinking about the post 69 galaxie models. Saw one of them advertised in Unique Cars mag here for 13k...similar one's on ebay for 5k (USA).

If anyone knows any other good cars with high value here comp w states, send me ur suggestions.

Interestingly the more popular chevy's, mustangs, plymouths arent too diff in value there.

But only looking for vehicles 30 + years old that dont require rhd conversion.

My mate sold a gt 351 Torino for 14K about 12 months ago. He had resprayed the original colour, it went well and, it was a nice car. It took 3-6 months to sell!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information