+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Federal Election 2007

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

Default Re: Federal Election 2007

Politics always has a lighter side even in this global chaos. Its good to see the pollies know how to enjoy themselves . I heard John Howard loves his scotch...Now Mr Howard on ... would be funny. I always thought some pollies got up to some mischief.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22056143-2,00.html

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...48-601,00.html
    Out of touch with the price of groceries? 3% inflation? Its still running at 6%.
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 12-07-2007 at 08:43 AM.

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

Blood is thicker than water- so they say- at least not in the Rudd family.
    http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22076778-2,00.html

As many have said politics is a very dirty game- with no rules.

Quote-
    The leak of the damaging information came from within the ALP and was designed to embarrass the Opposition Leader into having to confront his own brother.

It is seen as retribution for Mr Rudd expelling rogue unionists - such as the Electrical Trades Union's Dean Mighell and Construction Forestry, Mining and Energy Union boss Joe McDonald - from the Labor Party.

Thats not to say the business lobby does not run the Liberal party either as the Unions run Labour. Well all parties need
    some political support and fundraising from somewhere. The endless left-right factional warfare seemingly
    without end in the year of 2007.
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 15-07-2007 at 03:36 PM.

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22078730-2,00.html
    On His Majesties service. extra fuel means nothing except more
    luggage space. The RAAF boys must have been scratching their
    heads

IMO- give him back the old 707's - old school travel.

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...18/1981572.htm
    Who do you trust in running Australia, with the polls going the way they
    are it looks like some Liberals don't trust their leader.

Quote-
    Today, two unnamed Liberal backbenchers are quoted in Melbourne's The Age newspaper as saying he should hand over the leadership.

Liberal backbencher Alby Schultz is angry at his anonymous colleagues.

"You're just a couple of gutless individuals and it's about time you started acting like decent Australians," he said.

Quote II-
    "Why don't they come out into the public arena and identify themselves rather than hiding behind a cowardly exercise spreading rumour and innuendo about a leadership.
    I smell a leadership challenge.

The wet liberals vs the dry liberals. Party infighting is the most ruthless when its your own just as old Paul Keating, he knows what the knife in the back is.
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 18-07-2007 at 04:30 PM.

Ride
    bf xr8 ute

does it really matter who wins this election all i see is australia being screwed over everywhere.
    i dont think ill even bother trying to save up and by a house little lone trying to pay for it who wants to pay for a house for over 30 years.
    at least no where near a city or a beach house price's are insanly priced how does something selling at 40G in 03 now sell for 200G in 07 and thats for a house and 1/4 acre block.
    i think ill just move over seas i love what australia stood for but hate what it stands for now what countrie's you recmond el wanting to go somewhere in the top5 most livable.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and no one is really sure about the universe yet"
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

I don't think New Zealand is a big nuclear target. The kiwis will not only be the home of rugby union but also a world superpower! Nobodies going to target Africa or South America really as they have their own problems. If I was to pull up stumps in Australia Id probably move to New Zealand as the US at the moment is so polarised between red and blue state its not funny. Give both parties guns and I sware their will be a civil war they are just waiting for their economy to collapse due to their mis-fourntunes in the MidEast. California is what I can stand but going to New York those people are delusional- they have this constant fear they are going to be attacked. Not good for a nations psyche or their defence forces for that matter.

House prices ain't gonna drop, nor are interest rates and working two
    jobs just to survive seems to go. Its easier to buy land in a third world
    country than here. Greed is always a powerful motivator. NY Prices sum
    it up for me- you have to be a drug lord, a arms dealer or a movie
    star to live there and I would'nt. Inflation will not go away either.

Rudd looks to be the winner but I don't think he will be the one to fix up Australia. Even Jesus himself would think its too far gone. This whole country needs to change the way it thinks as it ain't the same country it used to be when I was growing up. Its lost its beauty and wonder and all now its seems to be focused on - who's right and who's wrong and how much money I can make before I retire at any cost. Sense of community and helping your fellow man mean nothing. Hedonism prevails. Any shrink would call that mentality...is it any wonder why crime and drug use is out of control and young kids just don't care anymore?

Im moving out West past the GDR when I get home. Land prices are still way low and nobody wants to move there- 0 demmand . Till the oceans rise of course. Set up me solar panels, get my old generator going and lifes a peach.
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 18-07-2007 at 09:36 PM.

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    Feroza, Charade 3cyl

Dont like Rudd's reaction to the whole Ford Buisness today. I found it extremely poor of his behalf. Points lost.

I dont like Mr. Howard "Investing" AU$50,000 per school for hot water tanks. Most of which, dont even have a gym, let alone need showers. What a ridiculous idea. One would hope someone would put some sense into this waste of money. Funds could be well used elsewhere... Lost points there too.

Still undecided though.

Ride
    well, that depends..

my personal opinion is that we'd be better off with anyone other than Howard, can anybody remember how he won his first election? the words "NO GST" come to mind. And he's been reelected on lies ever since. I'm terrified by what the smug little bastard will think he can get away with if we believe his crap again. Howard for PM But I'm sure that between 46-54 percent of you will disagree

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

Quote Originally Posted by Superfresa View Post
    Dont like Rudd's reaction to the whole Ford Buisness today. I found it extremely poor of his behalf. Points lost.

I dont like Mr. Howard "Investing" AU$50,000 per school for hot water tanks. Most of which, dont even have a gym, let alone need showers. What a ridiculous idea. One would hope someone would put some sense into this waste of money. Funds could be well used elsewhere... Lost points there too.

Still undecided though.
    I voted for him in the 1999 elections in the height of the IT boom. We have not seen such good times
    since though- apart from the mining boom in WA- the good fortune has not spread elsewhere.
    State Govts are still inflexible with foreign investment and red tape. Though with the War on
    Terrorism their has been a 'small' boom in defence and defence support industries. So if your
    a dog of war- there are plenty of jobs. Though other industries have gone into severe decline
    such as textiles and manufacturing- which usually have staunch protection by most Western
    Nations and Australia falls behind here. Lack of manufacturing impacts on inflation- ask
    any economist not to mention BoP. A high Australian dollar may help minerals at the moment
    but it is hurting many export industries. It 1/2 the reason Ford were in so much pain as
    well as high oil prices due to America being stuck in the MidEast. European car companies
    don't suffer but American ones do. The fall of Chrysler symbolises this.

I think old Brendon Nelson (medico and soldier on the side) told us we are there to secure Iraqs
    oil and the people come a close second. If that does not show our dangerous reliance
    on oil, I don't know what is. Becuase we are in Muslim lands and OPEC is controlled by
    over 70% of the Arab states its little wonder why they inflict pain on us at the bowser
    and there is nothing we can do about it. While they drive around in Gen III Statesmans
    like no tomorrow at less than 20c a litre. Thats how much they hate us- and old George
    still does not get the message. Maybe because the US is too tied up with the Saudi
    Govt for oil security. I believe Osama Bin Laden came from the same country.

Our esteemed PM should fix up the leaking roofs, lack of air conditioning in summer
    and basic construction repairs before he's worried about hot water tanks.
    Nothing like a cold shower- wakes you up. He likes private schools too
    much and the electorate- does know that.

He was also giving money for Australian flags as well as Church Padres.
    Though none for decent textbooks, software and decent internet.
    Something other countries take for granted. 21st century society- horse
    and buggy type schools. That was a ad by American teachers back in
    National Geographic in December 1969, it looks like nothing much has
    changed in either country. Nowonder most of 'Silicon Valley' soon will
    be in the EU and not the US.
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 22-07-2007 at 07:08 PM.

Ride
    bf xr8 ute

hmmm i think id rather live in antratica then NZ.
    nuke war could be a good thing global warming whould end over night.
    and it whouldent be so god damn hot in alice springs lol.
    here is something i think you will like el just a little comic on post war done by a candian
    http://www.postnukecomic.com/comic_p...ssue=9&page=11
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and no one is really sure about the universe yet"
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

No love lost and the knives are out- will Costello make a last minute move
    on Howard?- the backbenches are rumbling and old Schultzy is worried.
    Like a pack of kids playing king of the castle and your the dirty rascal-
    somebodies gonna fall down.

That look to me says everything- that mother-in-law look

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...20/1983239.htm

Quote-
    Mr Costello's negative comments in a new book about the Prime Minister have sparked a new round of bickering over the Liberal leadership.

Aside from questioning Mr Howard's economic record and accusing him of leaking documents, Mr Costello says he also worries about current government spending.

The Prime Minister says so he should.

Who do you trust in running the economy- Mr Costello does'nt trust
    the captain. Funny my good memory told me ' that disunity is peril'
    somebody said- very much so. That old D O O M sign is written on
    the wall.
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 20-07-2007 at 09:14 AM.

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    Feroza, Charade 3cyl

Guys, what do you think of these statistics?

Not implying they're the latest demonstation of anything. Just wondering what you guys make of it...

And as they say: "There are 3 kinds of lies: Lies, Damn lies and Statistics" but interesting non the less.

Just picturing, in the event that Mr Rudd becomes the prime minister, will our dollar fall back to 50 US cents, and will we start spending and spending?

Hope it helps me decide.

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

If our dollar falls back to 50 cents man those e classes will be expensive
    and will make our countries exports far more attractive. That would help
    the business im in at the moment and would give me a fighting chance
    in getting more jobs for locals than them going OS. China is the only
    one profiting from Australia's high dollar at present.

Lies damn lies and statistics I think. To examine Rudds prowess in
    running a economy you have to look at his record in QLD under the
    govt of Wayne Goss. He is a headkicker and will cut back public service
    jobs which have grown far too much under a Howard govt. The unchecked
    expansion of contractors has also not helped the govt purse. The RAAF
    for example of this and this has led to all sort of maintenance issue problems
    in the ADF- all to save a few pensions- pathetic. Maintaining equipment costs
    time and money and staff. Contractors won't be around when problems arise
    either. As for the JSF order- many in the RAAF are filthy about the purchase
    done with little consultation and many other contracts under that slime
    named Peter Reith.

Upon Janette Howards admission John 'does not always keeps his promises
    and only the ones he likes'. Pure Machiavelli I tell you that- nowonder
    why Costello hates him.

This book should be as much fun to read than the tell all by Marky Mark 'I'll punch you in the
    face' Latham. Its so good to see politicians behaving badly.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22104385-2,00.html
    Now this is desperate- **** **** ****. He should wash his mouth out with
    soap. Now what example is that setting for the younger generation
    and his calls himself a family values guy. George Pell will send him to hell.
    3 Hail Mary's and no supper.

Thats what the coalition is in now- allot of it.

I now expect all sorts of desperate tactics for the Liberals to hold power.
    A old mate of mine John Hewson said- it will be fun for Costello to be
    a opposition leader- or was that Joe Hockey.

Australian infrastructure is a joke just ask the Japanese. Im sure the World
    Bank will be most understanding to Australias lack of spending in the last 15
    odd years. Its now got beyond a joke. Our resources are there but our road,
    rail and sea transport systems are....

I believe the man Gary Nairn (who provided you with these stats) is going up against
    a old army boy in his electorate.

Good luck you'll need it. He like me thinks the war in Iraq is a lost cause. Well at least
    he served there- as for Garry Nairn- his son- anybody?

Eden-Monaro is where its at.
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 20-07-2007 at 07:30 PM.

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    Feroza, Charade 3cyl

Speedo, I see your point. However, do you think all the above figures are just "Lies, damn lies and statistics"?

Point taken about infrastructure, though its not that bad. Maybe because I come from the third world. But none of that can deny that the Coallition's government has meant a strong economy. And my concern is that it can't be matched by Labour - because to me Economy is one of the big ones...

Though I admit to being unhappy about IR, and several other things...

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

Japan is haemorrhaging around 20 million a month waiting for coal in Newcastle due to poor rail and road. QLD and WA also have big issues but NSW has the most problems and due to a uneven share of GST funding by the feds much has suffered there. The Pacific Hwy is still not two lanes in the year 2007. Thats what I call a joke. Its a national shame. I have to tell this to people wanting to invest here and they poke fun at it. The Liberals ran the whole thing till the wheels fell off- all to save a few bucks in the short term.

As I've warned before we could go the way of Argentina the history rings true... if we continue along this path. They were are just as rich as us but due to mismanagement its now a shadow of its former self. They also
    had a local car industry as well...

Japan is a far more reliable trading partner than China who at a whim could go to Africa given a better deal...and they are getting frustrated. We have lost millions in hi-tech deals to the EU and many of our best and brightest have gone OS- due to our economies over-reliance on resources- to the detriment of many industries. It is very dangerous given a downturn in prices, demand, environmental concerns or lost export contracts due to the above lack of infrastructure. Australians educational spending is not even in the Top 10.

We have to be a smart nation like the EU to survive in this cut-throat world of economic warfare if we want to maintain the standard of living we so cherish.

Short term policy does wonders in the polls but helps little in long term national interest. Its just a easy way to leave the problems till later for another govt to deal with. When our Hospital system is being compared with Cuba or worse it ain't no fun either. We used to rank along with Scandinavia not any more. It makes it very hard for exporters to sell this country when its falling away at the edges due to mismanagement and self interest. Peter Costello does'nt give a glowing report on John Howards sugar daddy promises to the electorate when in all terms screws inflation and leads to higher interest rates.
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 20-07-2007 at 08:14 PM.

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

Quote Originally Posted by Superfresa View Post
    Speedo, I see your point. However, do you think all the above figures are just "Lies, damn lies and statistics"?

Point taken about infrastructure, though its not that bad. Maybe because I come from the third world. But none of that can deny that the Coallition's government has meant a strong economy. And my concern is that it can't be matched by Labour - because to me Economy is one of the big ones...

Though I admit to being unhappy about IR, and several other things...
    Im in the business of shaking hands and doing deals for locals and not foreigners. I don't take sides usually but the Liberals are running a smoke and mirrors economy- they are riding off the back of a resources boom (thanks to Asia not us) and then the IT boom (thanks to the US not us) before that. If Labour gets in all likelihood don't expect me to go easy on them either. I have no real favorities only my loyalty to this place. I still dislike Hawke for deregulating the dollar and Keating for the recession we had to have. Our national debt and local foreign ownership is still to high and little has been done by either side.
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 20-07-2007 at 08:26 PM.

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    Feroza, Charade 3cyl

All sounds good Speedo. Very true. Two things though:

Argentina still has a large Automotive industry, now increasing as Honda will be making cars there as well (several manufacturers already do).

As for Cuba, it may be communist, but one thing that it does have is a good medical system. Because they have been blockaded from buying foreign everything, they cant get foreign medicine, so their Doctors are some of the best in the world.

I dont take sides either (I have no clue) but I perceive a lot of bashing towards the government, and to be quite fair, I think much of it is just a case of its easier to criticise than to suggest and look for answers. And there are a few things that they have done right, as well as several they've done wrong. That Indian Doctor thing this week was bloody embarassing - a shame, and a demonstration of poor attitude and so on. Pity.

But, despite what you say and so on, and despite many other reasons, I still think Mr Costello is a very smart man, and the Economy has been managed reasonably well at least. In the hands of a fool, no boom would've bennefited us. The Labour party may be no fools at managing the economy either - that is yet to be seen - but I feel some credit is due here as well, just like in other issues they deserve a good belting...

Perhaps I'm too new to this all to realise a lot of things, I admit. But it seems to me like they have done a bloody good job - whether the Labour party could do better or not. Am I onto something or have I been mis-informed?

BTW: Speedo, mind me asking, whats your job?

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

I am a 'advisor' par se to a number of companies in issues of foreign affairs, trade and d-fens. I suppose thats why I get the news far in advance sometimes. Sometimes yes sometimes no. There a good advisors and bad advisors as they say behind every pollie or businesspeople. I don't like blowing my trumpet and Im a shrinking violet. Most politicians(there are some good ones) are very busy or lack interest and its up to us monkeys to do it.
    Its also a reason why im such a news hound as its part of my job.

Kraken can kind of can work out my job description as I humorously put it to him a while back.

A few years in uni doing politics at uni-arts-science major and now all I do is talk all day and listen to other people talking. Hopefully in all that talking something good comes of it.

As you can see I can waffle on for ages just like a politician can. I just hope I never become one. Never. Otherwise give me a good earbashing.

They had a indigenous Falcon there once in Argentina. Thats why im trying to plug the Falcon as much as I can OS as I feel its better and cheaper than a beemer and has more balls. It looks allot more macho parked compared to a dry old BMW or Merc. It also does better burnouts.
    You gotta have a bit of fun. My first boss had a beemer and thought he was so good in his M5 till I smoked him once at the lights. His ego went south after that day. My love of Falcons has only increased since. You can take the boy out of the country but you cannot take the country out of the boy
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 22-07-2007 at 09:41 AM.

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    Feroza, Charade 3cyl

Sounds Fun El Speedo Very important job!

Imagine what would happen if you altered the truth a little. The amount of people that would be affected! Above anything else, sounds like you're having a blast. Respect for that! I imagine its not a 9 - 5 job, but a 24/7 one!

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

Politics like life is a game- believe it or not. Do you believe your politicians and world leaders or not? Thats up to you to decide. A lie can be a necesary evil or for the greater good or maybe for personal gain. Deep down we all know when somebody is telling the truth or not. Some call it a conscience others the 6th sense-
    whatever you call it- it has served me well over the years. My departed wife taught me allot on this.

Were we get our news from and knowledge is up to one- and all. I get it from many and diverse origins. I have learnt more from a homeless man sometimes than a Yale graduate as everybody sees the world in a different way.

The truth is out there segment is a little bit of fun by myself and others in the office. I have my masters but. They keep this dog on a leash.
    Jimmy Carter former US president saw and reported and UFO once and my old pal Ronald Reagan warned the world about a distant foe...

I've been proven right a number of times- Vladmir Putin- The Return of the Cold War, maybe a imminent trade war with the US & China. Though I certainly hope they can put off WWIII and leave it for TV shows to do.

Australia certainly will have a interesting future- I hope its bright and all my doom and gloom in simply a reflection, rather than a reality. I have become rather absorbed in my work lately due to WMD scares as you can see and I hope- nothing eventuates from this. Being Hungarian we are awfully pessimistic sometimes with a penchant for the eclectic and the unknown as part of our psyche- so good news is always a surprise.
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 20-07-2007 at 10:50 PM.

Ride
    2007 Mitsubishi 380

I wonder when people will actually see that the current 'good times' are really a result of reforms made under the Hawke-Keating governments. It's just taken this long for the changes to kick in. When will people realize that the "lies, damn lies and statistics" posted above (which supposedly reflect negatively on Labor) are actually the results of the Malcolm Fraser days?

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

Liberal and Labour are no better than each other. Hawkes deregulation of the dollar made us more vulnerable to the stockmarket fluctuations than ever before. John Button well- screwed up industry with his over the top ideas. Electioning has grown stale since WWII- a two party system and little differing views from either doctrine from left or right. Many people have grown cynical about politicking on both sides- including myself. Keatings economic rationisation gave us the recession 'we had to have'. John Howard destroyed the wages system which was fought since the Eureka stockade. Labour is not the same party it used to be- Albanese can testify that. I can see a split in the Labour party in the future.

People still have not realised politicians are ordinary people and no more special than you are apart from their positions.
    They have the same faults or worse- than us.

The good times ended in 1975. Our national debt has only got worse. Neither party has done much to address it. The US continues to go into debt till its economy may collapse. It is a warning to Australia as well if another 1987 happens due to rising oil prices the US Fed may not step in as it cannot due to hyperinflation worries and the whole world goes into another depression and that can only lead to... I wish people from all countries demmand their leaders to be more accountable to them rather than just trusting them on face value. After all they serve you- not the other way around.

The endless war in Iraq and the return of the Cold War show how wrong our politicians have got things. DO you think Labour will pull out of Iraq if Hillary gets in? Don't count on it. I like Rudd in some ways and I dislike him in others- lets see how 'centrist' he is without being influenced too much by the left or right. Australia needs a knowledgeable (who can see both sides) pollie to steer in the most darkest times since the eve of WWII. We need another Curtin not another Menzies.

Nero is still playing the fiddle while the Western World burned.
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 22-07-2007 at 09:37 AM.

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

Like Macbeth- Howard is doomed.

Set a election date- you loser. Respect the constitution.
    Otherwise the word- criminal will come out of my mouth.
    Your more popular in Texas than your are there.
    Lyndon B. Johnson also came from there.
    George your best mate is headed for impeachment.
    Lovely legacy for authors to write about.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22110639-2,00.html
    Last edited by ELSpeedo; 22-07-2007 at 09:43 AM.

Ride
    AU Fairmont Ghia

Election terms should be fix terms IMO this business of the current government choosing when to call an election is utter crap.
    Anybody over the age of 30 who still uses the bus should consider themselves a failure in life.
    -Margaret Thatcher

Ride
    Deaths Chariot

Yep many others have said that- you have 4 years to do your business. In the US you can only serve two terms as politicians grow stale and doctrine ensues when they stay too long. We had 1776 and a inhuman Civil War (hopefully not another one) to teach us. Australia should learn from other countries mistakes and not repeat them as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information