+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how do i reset airbag warning light on ef

Ride
    ford falcon ef gli

Unhappy how do i reset airbag warning light on ef

i had my car jacked up last wee.when i put car down i noticed airbag light was flashing,is their any way to reset this light .as its a pain in the arse at night???

Experienced Member
    Ride
    '90 EA Falcon

Default Re: how do i reset airbag warning light on ef

dont just reset it. the light is on for a reason. take it to a dealer and get them to do a check on it. that way you have peace of mind

Ride
    07 Fairmont Ghia

check the airbag fuse.

also there is a tech doc on air bags for e series on fordmods.com
    07 Fairmont Ghia for family
    01 WRX STI for me

Ride
    XR6T

:Take to dealer , thats all you can do

Ride
    07 Fairmont Ghia

Quote Originally Posted by turbo00007
    :Take to dealer , thats all you can do
    nope.
    07 Fairmont Ghia for family
    01 WRX STI for me

Experienced Member
    Ride
    '90 EA Falcon

Quote Originally Posted by Chr!s
    nope.
    Ok its the smartest hing to do :_poke:

Experienced Member
    Ride
    '90 EA Falcon

Quote Originally Posted by Chr!s
    nope.
    Ok its the smartest hing to do :_poke:

Ride
    EF Falcon

Quote Originally Posted by onorty
    i had my car jacked up last wee.when i put car down i noticed airbag light was flashing,is their any way to reset this light .as its a pain in the arse at night???
    I had this happen twice due to blown fuses over 5 years - replaced fuse but airbag warning will still flash. The fix - switch ignition fully on, let all lights on dash settle down, and off again 256 times and ECU "forgets" that it once had an airbag fault. (This takes even longer than you might think just sitting in your garage, but if you can wait 6 months or so to get it switched off, just drive to work and back home every day and it takes care of itself...)

Or take to ford dealer and pay them to do the same thing quickly - cost me $200 the first time...

BUT please dont ignore the possible consequencesof messing with the airbags, dont try this unless you are 100.00% sure of what you are doing and sure of the reason for the fuse blowing does not need further investigation. Make your own mind up, its your own choice, dont point the finger if something goes wrong, get the idea... oh, and stay clear of the airbags if playing with the fuses.
    Last edited by neilp; 26-06-2006 at 10:53 PM.

strapn six
    Ride
    5sp.ea.fairmont.ghia

i would reset the CPU first before taken it to the dealer lot cheaper if it resets it just unplug the battery for 20 min and reconect.note it may run a bit rough for 10mins

strapn six
    Ride
    5sp.ea.fairmont.ghia

plus its a lot more easy the turning on and off ur ignition 256 times thats going to co$t heaps wen u have to replace it

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    XD XE ED & BA XR8

i had his light on once when my neighbours tried to jump start my DF LTD once when my wife asked them for help. i had to change the battery and noticed this light on. Firstly you need to turn the ignition on, eyes on the airbag light, it will flash, then slight pause then flash again, pause then stay on permanently. you need to count the number of flashes between the pauses and this gives you a code. example i had the light flash once, pause, then flash twice then pause then stay on permanently, this gave me code 12 which says "open circuit" which is commonly diagnosed with the strategic change of the air bag fuse. i hope you have checked that on the advice of one of the replies you had. then you need to do the test again to see what code you get, hopefully its not 12 again, then let us know the code so we can identify the source of the fault. i could tell you how to reset the air bag light but you really need to identify the problem. i just hope you get the code that says " reset me now please"

Ride
    EF Falcon

Bass,

I'm interested to know the 'correct' procedure for resetting the airbag fault codes - my airbag fuse blew again this morning (I previously posted the reply about restarting the ignition 256 times). Once again the new fuse changed the code from 12 to 52 which I recall means there was a low voltage problem but now OK.

I'd like to reset it the corect way as I have my warrant of fitness test in a couple of weeks and dont have the time to let it reset itself this time round!

Bit concerned it keeps popping a 10A fuse, but I have read a post elsewhere that says if the battery is low, the airbag will draw more current than normal as it charges up the reserve capacitors. My battery is certainly on the way out and struggled to start the car this morning.

Do you think this is a realistic explanation for the fuse blowing every couple of years? There certainly seems to be loads of people have this problem.

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    XD XE ED & BA XR8

the first thing i would do is change the battery and the fuse again. if your battery is low enough to not start the car this can damage the electrical system as the car as it is designed to run on 12-14volts and not 6-10 volts as it would when you try to crank it. Under the fuse box there is a diagnostic plug which has two rows of pins. i cant remember exactly which two pins they are but one was the fourth from the top left and the other i cant remember and with the ignition on it beeps five times and ignition off and on again. it may need to be repeated to reset.

i will find out exactly which two pins they are and exactly where the ignition should be to do it. will get back to you by tomorrow night. it takes only a minute to to and costs around 150 -200 for a clown to perform this miracle, they make it out like its a major procedure to perform.

Ride
    EF Falcon

OK thanks - look forward to getting the full story.

Cheers,

Neil.

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    XD XE ED & BA XR8

NeilP, to reset the airbag warning light turn the ignition to the on position. If you remove the cover for the fuse box you will see a diagnostic white plug with two rows of pins, you need to bridge the fourth pin in the top row from the left and the bottom left pin. you should hear some beeps. ignition off and try it. you might need to do it twice. but if it still reapears get it checked out. this only resets the airbag system. if there is a fault then it will code you. its mentioned earlier in this thread how to read the codes.

Good luck and let us know how you go..

Ride
    EF Falcon

Thanks Bass,

I tried that and it worked perfectly. What happened was this - with the fuse still blown it flashed the 12 code to me. I replaced the battery with a new one, and then the airbag fuse. It then flashed 52 to me when I turned on again.

I tried your procedure to clear the memory and it still flashed a code on restart. I did it twice more and no more codes.

From what I hear it is a very very common problem... the ford agents must love this one, takes about 30 seconds and they charged $200 to do it first time the crooks.

Cheers mate,

Neil.

Forum Veteran
    Ride
    XD XE ED & BA XR8

those crooks ay. it just so happens we have a mechanic in the family who works in a ford dealership. he is very handy. well its good you have no more codes. i bet you will sleep much better now.

Ride
    EL and EB

I had a dodgy battery in my EL and the airbag fuse blew resulting in the flashin code 12 and the airbag light coming on when driving. I replaced both the battery and the fuse but now it flashes 52. I have tried the reset five times now and I get the audio beaps but 52 keeps coming back. Any ideas?

Forum Regular

The fuse blowing means Do not replace take the car to a Dealer for Maintanence.
    You might replace the fuse and the air bag could go SLAP in you're Face while you're doing 115Kms down the Freeway.RIP.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information