+ Reply to Thread

Thread: lowering a XF Van/ute

Crash Dummy
    Ride
    V8 XF Falcon Pano

Default lowering a XF Van/ute

hey guys
    just wondering whether anyone has any advice on how to go about lowering a XF Van/ute?
    its got king springs all 'round at the moment, as well as 1 1/2" blocks at the back. but as these things go, one just has to have it lower and go against any practical purpose of the car
    now, i talked to a bloke on the street the other day, he was driving a rather low XF ute, with the exact same tyres and 12 slotters as me, telling me he had no problmes of wheel scrapping. he said he used 40mm Pedders all 'round as well as reset leaf springs.
    now my question is;
    -what brand is recommendable for the coils, as well as
    -the choice between blocks or reset leaf springs, any major pros or cons?
    the ol' girl runs a 302C, so there's the added V8 weight, as well as the
    9",which hangs a fair bit lower then the ol' standard XF diff.
    any advice or tales of past experiences with lowering XFs would be greatly appreciated

cheers

XF PANO

Simply Panolicious!

Ride
    F150, Torino Cobra

Default Re: lowering a XF Van/ute

the choice between blocks or reset leaf springs, any major pros or cons?
    Lowering blocks are not legal, but reset springs will be stiffer which will make the ride a little more uncomfortable.
    as well as the 9", which hangs a fair bit lower then the ol' standard XF diff.
    The suspension, however it is lowered will not affect where the diff "hangs".

Ride
    95 EF Futura 5sp

Bout the lowering blocks.... There not illegal if done a certain way, Gassed250 I think, sells em n has had an arguement over the legality of them. I dont *think* they would be sold as freely as they are if they were illegal. Stranger things have happened though...
    95 EF Futura 5sp manual, Envy Green, Turbo.

Crash Dummy
    Ride
    V8 XF Falcon Pano

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo
    Lowering blocks are not legal, but reset springs will be stiffer which will make the ride a little more uncomfortable.

The suspension, however it is lowered will not affect where the diff "hangs".
    ah okay, cheers.
    about the lowering blocks, i too hav read that they were not legal, yet most suspension places i called offered me this option, plus i hav seen many utes/vans with blocks in them, so i'm a tad confused about the legality of blocks...
    mayb they're legal in WA?

XF PANO

Simply Panolicious!

Ford Fanatic
    Ride
    Ford TE Cortina 4.1L

Lowering blocks are legal if they are made from either steel or aluminium etc not hardwood or hard plastics which some wouldbe's might have tried in the past. I have a copy of the modifications booklet for Queensland Transport and it says the above regarding legality. I've seen dangerous things happen with lowering blocks because they require longer U clamps there's extra strain on the threads and I've had a mate who's rear side broke those U clamps and was lucky not to swerve off the road. Another disadvantage with blocks is the spring rate is the same and depending how low you go can make the car bottom out too easily due to insuficient travel that is used up too quickly (spring rate not hard enough for travel limitations).
    Reset springs are better because you can add an extra leaf too stiffen it up and it'll handle real good plus no longer U bolts are needed and safer in my opinion. I'd just allow for the block thickness and reset the required amount so If you want the car another 25mm lower than ask the mob to reset them 63mm if you're using 1.5" lowering blocks then theres no need for them.
    ZAC
    RIP: 1978 TE CORTINA. 4.1L mild 250xflow, T5, welded 2.92:1diff, 16" wheels, Lots of fun was had in the old beast...

Crash Dummy
    Ride
    V8 XF Falcon Pano

thanx, SMIK79TE, looks like i'll definatly go for the reset then...
    just to finish it off, can anyone recommend brands for the springs?
    Pedders? Kings? is there even much of a quality diffrence there? and is that diffrence worth extra money?

XF PANO

Simply Panolicious!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information