+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ipod in Territory

Ride
    Territory

Default Ipod in Territory

This may be a silly question but does anyone know if I can play my Ipod through the car stereo on my Territory. Its got the base level radio. I know with some cars there is a plug & you can also get a cassette adapter but I dont have a cassette player. Any ideas?

Ride
    Territory

Default Re: Ipod in Territory

Yep, you just need the Auxiliary Audio Plug-in (Cassette & MP3 capability) for around $30 from the spare parts counter and a simple DIY instal (takes about 5 minutes) or at least double that amount if you have them fit it.

http://www.ford.com.au/range/popup/p...=32&category=2

Auxiliary Audio Plug-in (Cassette & MP3 capability)
    Provides cassette tape functionality
    3.5mm stereo jack is positioned in the console
    Connects personal audio devices such as a Walkman, Discman, Mini Disc or MP3 player
    Music is played through your Falcon's audio system
    RRP Fitted*: $65.00
    Part Number: BA 289455 AA

Ride
    Ford Falcon FG XR6

Thumbs up Re: Ipod in Territory

Wow - this was a great thread... having just got one of those shiney iPod Nano things I was thrilled to read your advice.

I called the local dealer, and he knew exactly what I was asking for. I was going to get them to fit it at the next service, but the instructions were so easy that I did it myself in 5 minutes.... just as you said.

The kit is a cable with a 3.5mm socket on one end, and a special connector plug on the other.

The instructions that come with the kit tell you how to quickly remove the tissue holder frame (pull the plastic surround from around the gear lever) - undo two screws which hold the plastic surround that goes either side of the centre console - and it is all exposed very easily. Two more screws release the tissue holder. When you have it in your hand you notice a small hole at the back of it... just insert the 3.5mm socket and tighten the nut... job is half done! The other end of the cable goes out through the back of the centre console and past the steering column to behind the fuse box area. There is a white socket just waiting for you - plug in, reassemble centre console surround and all is done.

You tell the sound system that you want to listen to the AUX port by pressing the AM button twice. Only if the special cable is connected does the sound system offer the AUX port.

You then just need a 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio cable to go from your MP3 player (or whatever) and into the new socket.

Since the 3.5mm socket is right underneath the tissue box holder and at the back, it is totally out of site... very nice!

The kit comes with nice instructions and diagrams - so really anyone can do this.

...and if I had not found this thread I'd still be none the wiser, so thank you!

Ride
    Territory

No problem, I'm glad I could be of some help.

Hope yours doesn't suffer too much from the alternator whine when your driving though
    (most noticable at high volumes)

If you thought that was pretty trick you'll be amazed at what's possible, try this link;
    http://www.asllogistics.com
    Last edited by Raptor; 09-11-2005 at 11:23 AM.

Ride
    Ford Falcon FG XR6

I have a BA XR6... and luckily have no interference at all.

The iPod Nano output level is less than radio/CD, so I have the volume a few notches higher than would be typical... but otherwise it is fine.

Maybe if you have a bored moment you could try re-running the cable... maybe it is running close to something and picking up the interference?

Ride
    Territory

Quote Originally Posted by asteele-xr6
    I have a BA XR6... and luckily have no interference at all.

The iPod Nano output level is less than radio/CD, so I have the volume a few notches higher than would be typical... but otherwise it is fine.

Maybe if you have a bored moment you could try re-running the cable... maybe it is running close to something and picking up the interference?
    Hi asteele,

I have been using Aux-in for rear seat portable DVD player, it too required the volume much higher than radio/CD and hence the electrical whine became audible. I think the noise is actually introduced through the power circuit (cig lighter). I have recently installed a 'kit' from the link I posted above so I can play the DVD on the front factory screen too, this came with it's own (much higher quality) aux-in cable (RCA-in) that included an inline noise suppressor. All's good now

Ride
    Territory TS RWD

Thumbs down Re: Ipod in Territory

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor
    Hope yours doesn't suffer too much from the alternator whine when your driving though
    I had the Aux input kit installed by the dealer before delivery. It has always suffered a square wave interference from the instrument panel light dimmer system (changing the brightness of the lights changes the frequency of the interference).

Twice now the dealer has said it is 'normal'

Bollocks, I say!

More like a poor design or a poor installation. It isn't too hard to design a loom with sufficient shielding, or to separate the cable away from other electronics.

The dealer even suggested I forget about using the Aux input all together

Back to workshop it goes

when u had the Portable DVD player plugged intot he optional Aux plug did it play thru the main stereo screen? Or this only worked when u bought that DVD kit?

Ride
    Territory

Quote Originally Posted by aes_usa
    when u had the Portable DVD player plugged intot he optional Aux plug did it play thru the main stereo screen? Or this only worked when u bought that DVD kit?
    The Ford Aux-in option is only for audio. To get the image on the front screen you'll need a kit to convert the signal and connect to the SatNav plug.

See my reply in your other thread.

Ride
    SS soon Territory

[QUOTE=RDG]I had the Aux input kit installed by the dealer before delivery. It has always suffered a square wave interference from the instrument panel light dimmer system (changing the brightness of the lights changes the frequency of the interference).

F***ing great, I just ordered an SR and splashed out the extra $130 for the factory fit Audio Auxilary Booster. Would I have been better buying the cheaper version and installing it meself??

What is the difference between the two anyway?

Ride
    Territory

Hi Hardsell,

You will be much better off with the more expensive boosted aux-in loom.

The input circuit is designed to accept an amplified signal (god knows why ). Just about everything portable has an unboosted signal and this is the reason the volume has to be turned up so far (like to 25 instead of 10 - I have to be careful switching back to CD or I blow my eardrums). Turning the volume up to these levels allows the otherwise unaudible electrical interference to be heard.

Ford released the boosted loom following criticism of the original. It takes power from the mobile phone circuit and has a built-in pre-amp to provide the amplification for your iPod or whatever. Volume matching between Aux, CD and radio should be much better.

Fiiting either is very simple (just an extra plug with the boosted loom) and cheaper than paying the service department monkeys to do it.

I hope you enjoy your new SR Terri.

Ride
    SS soon Territory

Cheers looking forward to it.

Just sh*tting myself about fuel consumption!

Am driving an SS that gets about 16lt/100km around town, and 12lt/100km on the highway. Surely can't be any worse than that!

Ride
    Territory Turbo Ghia

Hi all, Iíve got a Territory Turbo Ghia with the premium sound system installed and would now like to install an ipod connection however my dealer wants to charge me $146 to install the ipod plug.

Where can I find the step by step instruction and do I need to pull the whole stereo out to do this?

Ride
    Ford Falcon FG XR6

Howdy, sure... just to copy Raptor's post from early in the thread...:

Yep, you just need the Auxiliary Audio Plug-in (Cassette & MP3 capability) for around $30 from the spare parts counter and a simple DIY instal (takes about 5 minutes) or at least double that amount if you have them fit it.

Auxiliary Audio Plug-in (Cassette & MP3 capability)
    Provides cassette tape functionality
    3.5mm stereo jack is positioned in the console
    Connects personal audio devices such as a Walkman, Discman, Mini Disc or MP3 player
    Music is played through your Falcon's audio system
    RRP Fitted*: $65.00
    Part Number: BA 289455 AA

I fitted this into my XR6 very easily.The cable has a connector which fits into a special socket on the rear of the fusebox which is by the drivers knee. The other end of the cable needs to be threaded up behind the steering wheel and along to behind the tissue box holder, where there is a small hole ready for it. The kit comes with some brief instructions on how to remove parts of the fascia, which is easy and safe to do.

This will give you a 3.5mm female socket. You will then need to buy a 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male cable which will plug into this socket, and then into the headphone jack on your music player.

If you press the AM button on the car stereo twice, then it will display AUX. Music played through the new cable will be heard. The car stereo can detect the presence of the plug, so you will not be shown AUX if the cable kit is not connected.

Small downside is that some report that this connection picks up some electrical whining, although I do not have that issue. Also, you have to turn the volume on your music player to its maximum - and even then, the music level on AUX is less than you have for the radio or CD... still sounds great though.

I decided against mounting the 3.5mm female connector behind the tissue box. Instead I plugged one end of the 3.5mm male to make connector into the socket, used some electrical table to stop them coming apart, and then threaded the cable so that it comes out between the passenger seat and centre console... leaving the socket and connected plug behind the fascia. I can then hide the cable beside the seat when it is not in use, and/or connect the cable to the music player and have the music player either on the passenger seat, or in the centre console, or infront of the gear selector with no problems at all.

Note that this does not allow you to control the iPOD from the stereo - just play music through.

Hope this helps!

I think I paid $34 for the kit 3 years ago, and it took 10 minutes to fit.

Ride
    Territory Turbo Ghia

Hi Asteele-xr6,

Where can I find this kit? I called Ford Spare Parts and they said their kit is $99

Do you have a picture example where this plugs into the fuse box?

My car is in service now and they are waiting on an answer if they should install the kit from Ford, however at $146 I thought that was a little steep......

Your help is much appreciated

Ride
    Territory Ghia

Just look behind your Fuse Box in the Driver's footwell. There should be a blue, a white and another coloured 'box' with pin connector-holes in it. The Auxiliary connector goes into the blue box. I did mine myself - it took all of 10 mins to do. I can suggest that you get the amplified connector - the standard one needs ~25-30 volume to be audible with my iPod turned to 70%.
    E53 X5 4.4i - Hers.
    Gunmetal EF XR6 Auto.

A Volkswagen? That's a two story Victa. Bloody Stupid Germans forgot to put the blades on it. And almost forgot to put the engines in them. Had to shove them in the boot as they shoved 'em out the factory door.

Ride
    03 BA Falcon

tried this actually... it took about 10 mins to set it up ... and then i just sat there figuring out where i want the cable to pop out from .. tested it works, i don't get the electrical whine that most people seem to get. how ever i do need to crank the volume setting on my ipod to full and have the car set to about 15-18.

but thats the last thing i care about now that i can listen to my ipod through my car.

i used the 'FORD BA/BF/XR6/8/TERRITORY AUDIO CABLE (IPOD/IPHONE)' cable sold by ASL on ebay for $15 AUD (free P&H). Took about 5 days to ship.

thank you goes to 'Raptor' & 'asteele-xr6'

here's the link
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=300365990839

Ride
    2014 VF SSV Redline

Nice one. Welcome to the forum The03Falconer.

You'd need an amp to fix the volume problem.
    Current Rides:
    2014 VF Commodore SSV Redline Manual
    2013 VW Touareg 180TDI

Still, I've owned plenty of Fords before......

Ride
    TERRITORY

is it worth the extra money for the boosted kit?

Ride
    Territory AWD Ghia

Old thread reheated. I just bought an 09 AWD Ghia and first thing on the wife's shopping list was iPod connectivity. I thought I would do it properly and got the iPod Integration Kit for $115 from Ford which is the one with the amplifier.

Now the catch. I went to fit it and found that the white 6 pin connector behind the fuse box already has something in it. You might have guessed it, the amplifier/booster I just bought. Pretty sure it is connected to the roof mounted Alpine DVD player.

So anybody else with the DVD player and this dilemma? How did you get around it?

Thanks

Ride
    Territory AWD Ghia

Never mind. Anybody after a reduced price boosted integration kit if they don't take it back

On the front of the roof mounted DVD player is a set of RCA input jacks (little door that flips up). Plug iPod/iPhone/etc in there and select AUX2 on the DVD Player. Bingo

Ride
    2014 VF SSV Redline

Glad it worked out.

If they done take it back, post it in the sale room.
    Current Rides:
    2014 VF Commodore SSV Redline Manual
    2013 VW Touareg 180TDI

Still, I've owned plenty of Fords before......

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information