+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ford V8 Territory

Experienced Member 351clevocorty's Avatar
    Ride
    81 TF Cortina V8

Default Ford V8 Territory

A mate who i'm subbing for at the moment has a territory and asked me about if possible to put V8 into. He was telling me the other day he spoke to a mate of his at a FORD dealership that the territoy should have come out with the V8. This FORD person said it's coming. Has anybody heard of this if FORD are in fact bringing out or are looking at bringing out a V8 territory.

Ride
    AUIII F/mont Ghia

Default Re: Ford V8 Territory

Well, thing being, the Barra 220 and the BOSS won't fit under the bonnet of the Territory. Sure, it will physically, but cooling around the motor, and clearance gaps (or lack of) is what's stopping it. Not to mention the steering arm and its position is a bit of an issue too.

Unless there's a Diesel V8 (of smaller capacity than 5.4L perhaps?) I don't think you'll be seeing any Ford petrol V8's in there, as they're all from the Triton family, if one don't fit, they all don't fit.
    Current car - AUIII Fairmont Ghia. Organza. Stock as a rock.
    Coming soon - ??? (but something is on order!)
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so." - Ford Prefect (as written by Douglas Adams)

Ride
    AU2 XR8, EB2 Gli

I remember reading an article in a motor mag that did have a V8 territory, capa or someone did it as a demo vehicle but it has been done. Basically it took two full vehicles, XR8 and the territory, huge job and not a realsitic for the cost involved. The rumour is FPV are looking at putting the turbo motor in one though otherwise I hadn't heard the territiory was getting an 8.

Ride
    07 Forester XT Lux.

yeah its about $32,000 for the C.A.P.A. supercharged 5.4

and thats after you pay for your territory.

Ride
    '11 LV Mk2 Focus LX

Quote Originally Posted by sbcb
    I remember reading an article in a motor mag that did have a V8 territory, capa or someone did it as a demo vehicle but it has been done. Basically it took two full vehicles, XR8 and the territory, huge job and not a realsitic for the cost involved. The rumour is FPV are looking at putting the turbo motor in one though otherwise I hadn't heard the territiory was getting an 8.
    Thatís right, CAPA did a V8 Tezza but I believe it was RWD and obviously not financially viable.

It seems fairly certain that there will be a turbocharged Territory due early 2006, but itís still unclear whether or not it will be badged as an FPV vehicle, an XR or something else. Personally Iíd prefer the latter, as it may be good for an SUV, itís still going to roll like a battleship and couldnít do FPV or the XR nameplate any good. From the murmurs Iíve heard, it wonít be an XR, but the jury is still out on FPV. But in saying that, Porsche justified risking their brand for an SUV and has that hurt them?

Would a 4.6L V8 be out of the question for the Territory? I wouldn't hold my breath for a 8cyl (4.6 or 5.4) Territory within a decade though.
    Have an opinion? Have your say by registering and joining the discussion.

Cars:

LV Mk2 Focus LX (current)
    MA Mondeo TDCI
    AU Forte
    TR Magna Exec

Ride
    Territory

It's the front mounted steering rack and the associated position of the steering shaft that prevent the current modular V8's being fitted. The front mount rack is common to both RWD and AWD Territories and is instrumental (along with the split lower suspension arms) of achieving the Territories well behaved road manners.

CAPA's blown V8 Terror-Tory utilised a Falcon front sub-assembly (cross members, steering and suspension) to allow the motor to be fitted. This was possible as both the Territory and Falcon have commonality in the chassis rails.

I DO NOT anticipate a factory V8 offering anytime soon, if ever.

Ride
    '07 BF2 XT

Get a road going version of the Jag RD-6's engine, turbo diesel 2.7 punching 180kw and 500nm

Ride
    XR6 Turbo MkII 6Sp

I don't know about a V8 Terri.. but Simon from Nizpro thinks he's found a way to fit the Terri's AWD system to a 1000hp XR6T.
    BA XR6T MkII 6Sp Man. Silhouette, Plexis Red, Premium Sound, Alarm, Sunroof, 11" Organic Clutch, Alloy Fly, Short Shift, 18x8.5 Fusion Wheels, Whiteline Springs, Typhoon CAI, BMC Filter, GT Wing, Bonnet/Lamp Protectors, XR Inserts, XR Mats, Boot Scuff Guard, Tinted Windows, Full Protection, 275rwks.

Ride
    Territory

Quote Originally Posted by Mars
    I don't know about a V8 Terri.. but Simon from Nizpro thinks he's found a way to fit the Terri's AWD system to a 1000hp XR6T.
    There's plenty of room for a turbo setup alongside the 6 but no room for a modular 90deg V block.

Hmmm, a 1000hp AWD Terri would surprise some Cayenne or X5 owners.

Ride
    '11 LV Mk2 Focus LX

As diesels continue to take off and branch into performance variants, surely Jaguar, Volvo or Land/Range Rover would have to be working on a performance 200kW, 600Nm+ version of the 2.7L diesel. While it may be wishful thinking to see such an engine in a Territory, you never know.

BTW: Dubya Bush is supposedly adding diesel engines to the tax exemptions list designed to decrease the environmental damage and general fuel shortage in the near future. Hopefully thisíll make Ford look more at diesel, particularly in the USA where Iím amazed diesel engines arenít more common! I just had a look at the Ford F Superdutys (F250,350) at Ford.com and youíd expect such large vehicles to come with diesels (as theyíre not much smaller than a Kenworth!), but the three engine options I could see were two petrols (V8, V10) and only one diesel (V8). The F150 doesnít come with a diesel option at all. I was interested to see that auto tranny they used on the Superduty, a TorqShiftô 5-speed automatic. Whatís that and where is it made? I suppose the ZF 6-speed unit being built by Ford in the States isnít strong enough to handle the power yet.
    Have an opinion? Have your say by registering and joining the discussion.

Cars:

LV Mk2 Focus LX (current)
    MA Mondeo TDCI
    AU Forte
    TR Magna Exec

Ride
    XR6 Turbo MkII 6Sp

Simon already has an AWD Terri with 350+awkws.. I hear it's embarrassed some jap turbo imports so far..
    BA XR6T MkII 6Sp Man. Silhouette, Plexis Red, Premium Sound, Alarm, Sunroof, 11" Organic Clutch, Alloy Fly, Short Shift, 18x8.5 Fusion Wheels, Whiteline Springs, Typhoon CAI, BMC Filter, GT Wing, Bonnet/Lamp Protectors, XR Inserts, XR Mats, Boot Scuff Guard, Tinted Windows, Full Protection, 275rwks.

Ride
    changing weekly

diesels are much better for the environment with Particle Filters. they are not so common yet - once the world gets hold of that technology then they'll be come more active but beware - it's expensive and heavy technology today and the French option is not really a good one.

If Ford can work it out they'd be on a goldmine and Territory would be a great recipient of it.

Quote Originally Posted by anglia diesel
    diesels are much better for the environment with Particle Filters. they are not so common yet - once the world gets hold of that technology then they'll be come more active but beware - it's expensive and heavy technology today and the French option is not really a good one.
    Isnít the French 2.7L diesel meant to be the best thing since sliced bread? Everyone seems to harp on about how good it is, or was that all over hype?

I canít for the life of me understand why thereís no dedicated gas Territory, surely there wouldnít be any problem fitting the engine and tank in, so whatís holding them back? Apparently, the Territory hasnít been as popular with the fleets as theyíd hoped, so imagine how a LPG option would help in that. Gas Falcon wagons would be outselling petrol Falcon and Commodore wagons at the moment.

Simon already has an AWD Terri with 350+awkws..
    Hopefully MOTOR can get their hands on this, as they haven't even reviewed the Territory yet.

Ride
    changing weekly

Quote Originally Posted by PeteSV
    Isnít the French 2.7L diesel meant to be the best thing since sliced bread? Everyone seems to harp on about how good it is, or was that all over hype?
    It's not as good as the German 3.0 - and their particle filter is crap. It needs replacing every few thousand km's which is hardly very customer friendly. I don't think it's mandatory and that is what puts the particles back in the air - which makes diesel dirty again. The German solution is a fully automated disposal unit which is far more practical - apparently the cars could run without an exhaust if not for noise considerations. Makes for interesting theoretical developments.

Ride
    07 Forester XT Lux.

Quote Originally Posted by anglia diesel
    It's not as good as the German 3.0 - and their particle filter is crap. It needs replacing every few thousand km's which is hardly very customer friendly. I don't think it's mandatory and that is what puts the particles back in the air - which makes diesel dirty again. The German solution is a fully automated disposal unit which is far more practical - apparently the cars could run without an exhaust if not for noise considerations. Makes for interesting theoretical developments.
    so its sorta like a Catalytic Converter? but for larger particles in effect?..i assume it wouldnt be operating at such a high temperature either.

Ride
    one with 4 wheels

Quote Originally Posted by EXLR8
    so its sorta like a Catalytic Converter? but for larger particles in effect?..i assume it wouldnt be operating at such a high temperature either.
    Yeah, you are kinda on the right track.

A diesel particulate filter (DPF) reduces the particulates in the exhaust gas by capturing the ultra fine particles. DPF applications are different from catalytic converter systems as the gas stream passes through the porous walls of the substrate as opposed to flowing through the channels. Thus the backpressures on the system are much higher. And DPF are also heavier than catalytic converter substrates.

The reason they are being pushed so heavily is for three reasons:

1. Because there is growing research results pointing to the health effects of these ultra fine (nano) particles - they penetrate deep into the lungs, where they cause infections which not only damage the respiratory system but also strain the heart and blood circulation. And there seems to be no lower limit to the concentration of fine particles and their adverse effects on health.

2. There is conflicting evidence regarding diesel "soot" and fumes progressing the on-set of lung cancer. But it is inconclusive at this stage.

3. NOx fumes - diesel emits about 10 times more than petrol and it is related to ill health effects and summer smog (this is what many believe is holding back diesel in Australia). These filters aim to reduce the NOx and to bring diesel into line with the same limits on petrol engines (for EURO 5 emissions legislation which the proposal is going to be released later this year).
    Its a pity EURO 5 wont be in effect until 2010 at this stage unless they fast track it......

Ride
    changing weekly

Germany is starting to introduce concessions on dpf cars as the particle issue is becoming a big one to the point they have particle count forecasts in the weather and stuff. Even though their rates are nothing like Mexico or the new world leader at dirty air - Seoul (according to the most recent report).

A lot of manufacturers offer it as an option now at customers choice but for an extra 70kg and at a few grand a hit it's not yet popular- plus there are a number of supply issues just now.

Audi have it standard on the new 6 and 8 cyliner Diesels but it's not proven cost effective on the lower priced 4's yet. Needs more customer awareness before they can really push it.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information