PDA

View Full Version : EL Falcon coil not constantly firing

adalimbi
23-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Hi to all :o)
I have been given an EL because it was going to cost over $3500 to fix (running on #6 only) So far I have changed EFI and Fuel pump relays and a few dodgy fuses, got it too TRY to fire....next was the dizzy...OMG what a job....the **** before me had it 180+ out.... got timing set to 6 deg advanced, and she fired but very rough. Stole a mates timing light and hardly anything on #1. My mate put his 2 bobs worth in and said it must still be out :thinking: so I put the timing light on each of the leads with the same result. So (I dont know if ya supposed to do this, but) I put the timing light on the coil lead and it was only working every second rotation of the dizzy and only firing one out of six for the other rotation.:p if that makes sense lol
Any clues before I go out and buy a new coil?????
Thanks Guys.

my67xr
25-05-2010, 10:05 AM
coils are a common problem in el's, also check the connections in the coil plug, the wires sometimes pull out of the plastic plug end, causing intermittant faults
may be worth checking the tfi module on the side of the dizzy too, they are the next common failure point. if u replace it use lots of heat transfer paste on the back of them between the module and dizzy body.

another problem i have noticed is a rusty dizzy shaft where the rotor sits, making bad contact, clean up with w&d paper and use crc on it.
could be worth replacing the dizzy cap and rotor while u are there,they cause misses too, use genuine bosch ones if u want them to last.

jPod
25-05-2010, 02:23 PM
How do you fit a dizzy out by 180??? the TFI would get in the way!!!

Anywho, when you changed the Dizzy, did you change the TFI with it? Try that if you haven't...

adalimbi
25-05-2010, 04:05 PM
It's very easy to put a dizzy in at 180 deg out. The shaft that spins the rotor button free spins around as many times as your heart desires, that is until it is fitted to the car lol.
Yep the TFI got changed as well.

adalimbi
25-05-2010, 04:06 PM
It's very easy to put a dizzy in at 180 deg out. The shaft that spins the rotor button free spins around as many times as your heart desires, that is until it is fitted to the car lol.

jPod
25-05-2010, 04:48 PM

Oh, they fitted it out internally... I thought they timed it 180 degree's out. I can see how that is possible.

Next step unfortunately is to try a new coil... as mentioned, they are problematic on these cars, and if the car is old enough to need a new dizzy, then the coil isn't far behind.

CraigMil
28-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Hi

I have an Xg which has the Eb series II motor and when I bought it I had trouble with the coil.
2 days after motor was degreased I could start due to coil being down on bottem of motor. Not a good place for a plastic object which cracks when constant heat is around.
So if you have replaced your coil and Im not sure if they have moved it to a more suitable place. I had mine placed on a bracket off the side of the suspension tower and well no probs cleaning engine bay or even driving through water on road.

CraigM