PDA

View Full Version : Kill switch - ED Falcon

n000b
19-05-2010, 10:10 AM
I am going to be leaving my car parked outside in the middle of nowhere for the next 4 months with minimal usage (used maybe once every week or two). I am wanting to install a kill switch to help deter any theives, and I thought if I install it as a battery isolation switch, it has the added bonus of not draining my battery so that it will still start after a few weeks.

Are there any easy kits or anything that I can buy to install in to my car (ED Falcon)?

falconxh
19-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Usually the isolation switch fits direct to the positive battery terminal and is easily available at most autoparts stores. You could remove the inst ign fuse to deter would be thieves and evev disconnect the coil at the clip junction, say.

n000b
19-05-2010, 09:52 PM
I was just thinking about removing a fuse, but I am also concerned about the car not starting because the battery has gone flat, which is why I thought a hidden kill switch would be useful.

The battery should last for months if it is disconnected via a kil switch yeah? What else do I have to watch for - I know that the radio will get reset, does the ECU "learn" how to drive efficiently?

alfy12
20-05-2010, 07:40 AM
Your ecu will be reset to factory default so will have to relearn if you totally disconnect all power. Removing the dome light fuse (interior light) will also prevent the car from starting as it will remove power from the smartlock circuit.

As for complete isolation of the battery, as falconxh said you can use a mechanical isolation switch with a key that rotates thru 90 degrees. No need to isolate the large wire that runs to the starter solenoid. Just the smaller wires.

I believe the normal current draw for an ED falcon is thru the red fusible link. If you look at your positive battery terminal, you should have 4 black wires, 1 red and 1 green. Putting a switch into the circuit after the red fusible link will remove ecu power. I would fit the switch after the red fusible link (from memory turns into a yellow wire after a connector near the battery). You can see the yellow wire I'm talking about labeled Y and 37 at the top of the diagram. You will have to use a high quality switch with a good current rating (30 Amp plus).

n000b
20-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Your ecu will be reset to factory default so will have to relearn if you totally disconnect all power. Removing the dome light fuse (interior light) will also prevent the car from starting as it will remove power from the smartlock circuit.

As for complete isolation of the battery, as falconxh said you can use a mechanical isolation switch with a key that rotates thru 90 degrees. No need to isolate the large wire that runs to the starter solenoid. Just the smaller wires.

I believe the normal current draw for an ED falcon is thru the red fusible link. If you look at your positive battery terminal, you should have 4 black wires, 1 red and 1 green. Putting a switch into the circuit after the red fusible link will remove ecu power. I would fit the switch after the red fusible link (from memory turns into a yellow wire after a connector near the battery). You can see the yellow wire I'm talking about labeled Y and 37 at the top of the diagram. You will have to use a high quality switch with a good current rating (30 Amp plus).

Thanks. If I fit the switch there, will it also cut power to whatever else in the car slowly drains power? I want to make sure it still starts after a few weeks.

Edit: it looks like it in the diagram, but I just want to make sure.

alfy12
20-05-2010, 02:28 PM
I have looked at the diagrams (mine are for an EA but should be very close) and the only circuit that is consuming power is the one I mentioned above. The only addition in the ED is the smartlock system. If you have a multimeter, you could disconnect each of the fusible links, one at a time. Set the multimeter probes up for measuring milliamps. Just add the multimeter to the circuit (one lead on positive battery terminal and other multimeter lead on the link you disconnected) and have a look for any current being drawn from the link your testing. Multimeter must be connected in series (in line) when checking milliamps. No need to turn the ignition on as we are trying to work out how much drain we have on the battery when the car is parked. Any fusible link drawing more than a few milliamps, should be disconnected or have a switch placed into that circuit.

n000b
20-05-2010, 02:56 PM
I will check it out, thanks :)

my67xr
25-05-2010, 10:03 PM
make sure u lock the car up before u switch the kill switch on too,
the central locking wont work if the battery is disconnected
u will still be able to unlock it with the key when u are ready to drive it again