PDA

View Full Version : V6 Turbo or V8 for my EB

bradj40
10-05-2010, 03:32 AM
Hi all,
I'm looking at updating my EB wagon's motor. But the problem is do i go a V6 turbo or the V8?? :confused:
So I'm leaving it up to you guys. Would love to hear your suggestions.
:D:D:D

EgoFG
10-05-2010, 11:26 AM
Hi all,
I'm looking at updating my EB wagon's motor. But the problem is do i go a V6 turbo or the V8?? :confused:
So I'm leaving it up to you guys. Would love to hear your suggestions.
:D:D:D

Um ... What V6 were you planning ?
The Old US Crown Vic one, or one from a Courier/Ranger ?
Or Did you mean the I6 Turbo from the XR6T ?

docjames
10-05-2010, 12:32 PM
I6T would be a nightmare. Find one of the 5.0L Windsor's and go for that. Front suspecnsion may need some work coping with the weight.

jPod
10-05-2010, 01:11 PM
A V6 in a Falcon is sacrilege. I6T would be loads of fun if you can actually get it running. A 5.0 would be pretty good and do-able but not very simple. How about just an EL engine? The wiring isn't so hard to set up, and the engines are quite good. Bolt a set of 3-1 extractors on it and a big mouth, advance the timing a couple of degree's (be careful for pinging though) and it will fly!

Mini1
10-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Going from an EB 6 to V8 would be a nightmare, the crossmember and steering rack need to be replaced to accommodate the engine position.

jPod
10-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Going from an EB 6 to V8 would be a nightmare, the crossmember and steering rack need to be replaced to accommodate the engine position.

Comparing the level of evil between shoe-horning the 302, the BA/BF/FG I6T or some random V6 in there, I would take the V8... that is why I suggested KISS and fit a modded EL unit in there...

bradj40
13-05-2010, 04:47 AM
So thats the go then. Pull a V8 out of an EL???
Would i need to change auto trans and diff? POssibly brakes and engine mounts? :confused::confused:

Mini1
13-05-2010, 07:11 AM
I am open to correction, but I believe EB2 V8 models used the same springs, shocks and brakes as I6 models. However, the cross member had different mounting points for, and used a different steering rack. The gearbox was different - it had a larger tail shaft, and possibly other components, to cope with the increased torque of the V8.
From a purely personal viewpoint, given the amount of time, effort, money and possibly unexpected and frustrating problems involved in the conversion, I would buy another vehicle which filled my power wish list. If the project is being tackled as a hobby, I would be looking at a Mustang, Thunderbird, or Cougar - something more simple and rewarding.
I can only wish you luck.

foxtrot3
13-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Hi If your going to do this swap buy a wrecked/hail damaged write off as you will need
1 engine
2 gearbox
3 diff
4 brakes
5 ecu and wiring and 8 cyl tacho (other gauges are the same)
6 front cross member power steering hoses/pump/etc
7 radiator and hoses and A/C pipes and hoses
8 tailshaft
and lots of other stuff that I have forgotten. Cheers MD

dunno
14-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Yep, I have to agree with foxtrot, buy a whole donor vehicle, finding and buying parts from a V8 could easily become a nightmare.

xy-transit
17-05-2010, 02:16 PM
i agree, if you want a V8 find one that was factory fitted, just doing a "straight forward" V8 swap as i have done in my LTD can become enough of a nightmare:redface:

there are not many EB's for sale often, but if you look at an LTD or a Fairlane there are a few about. and as a bonus you get almost an extra 100mm of rear seat legroom;)

then sell your car or use it as a daily hack.

if it's for a project go the EL engine as JP suggested,

and if you want POWER fit a snort turbo kit:D

my $0.002