PDA

View Full Version : roller cam in 93 5.0L, odd rocker gasket ??

xy-transit
14-04-2010, 11:15 PM
ok, prob. a Q? posted before but a search did not answer my Q?.

i have finally finished an engine transplant in my LTD. the 5.0L came out of a 93 Fairlane.

after re-reg it was overheating and blowing bubbles in the tank, so i got the VRS to fix it. however i found a couple of things i have not seen before:redface:

1st thing was the rubber, counter sunk rocker cover gaskets. then a plate setup and keepers on the lifters.

looking around on ePay i found the lifter plate advertised, explaining it was for a roller cam setup. :confused:

the heads have a big T cast into them in the valve spring seat area, dose this mean anything?

pics as follows:

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww71/xy-transit/DSCF0217.jpg

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww71/xy-transit/DSCF0218.jpg

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww71/xy-transit/DSCF0216.jpg

all info is greatly appreciated:cool: as always;)

xy-transit
15-04-2010, 03:36 PM
okay so the rocker cover gasket surface is not countersunk:redface::redface:, it had steel/ rubber, reusable?? gaskets

Stevo
15-04-2010, 06:21 PM
Those rocker cover gaskets are quite common as a higher quality replacement for cork gaskets. They are reusable. The plate is to stop the roller lifters from trying to spin which is the opposite to what you want with a flat tappet. As far as I know all those E7TE heads are the same.

xy-transit
15-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Thanks Stevo,

so it's safe to say it is defiantly a roller cam then?

do you know what year they used the roller blocks out here?

or is it common to fit a roller cam into a hydraulic block?

it has STD. pistons in it so i'd say it is still all original,

did/do ford balance the conrods from factory? as when i had the sump off to fit rod bolts they all had the grinder? marks ( for a want of a better description :redface:) where they had obviously taken weight out.

Stevo
15-04-2010, 09:14 PM
so it's safe to say it is defiantly a roller cam then?

Yes

do you know what year they used the roller blocks out here?

EB on V8s had roller cams

or is it common to fit a roller cam into a hydraulic block?
Yes but Ford hydraulic roller lifters are too tall for non roller blocks, aftermarket lifters must be used. Note that stock roller cams are hydraulic, racing cams are mostly solid roller

did/do ford balance the conrods from factory? as when i had the sump off to fit rod bolts they all had the grinder? marks ( for a want of a better description ) where they had obviously taken weight out.
I don't believe Ford balanced connecting rods.

xy-transit
15-04-2010, 10:01 PM
Thanks again Stevo!

i realised these are hydraulic roller lifters,

i was trying to differentiate between the roller lifter blocks, i.e as you said eb onward, and the older hydraulic non roller cam blocks, e.g. carb. 302w.

but you made it clearer much more simpler than i could;)

do you know if the 1991 351w in the F-series are roller cams as well?

wanted to start ordering parts for my folks F-truck, like cam, lifters, cam bearings, pushrods etc.,

they asked if it was roller cam.

and i was not going to know until it was pulled down.:thinking:

Stevo
15-04-2010, 11:56 PM
No 351W and no truck motors got roller cams. How many k's on your truck? You may not need cam bearings and pushrods don't generally wear out. Unless you had a major failure and bent them, then go and buy the bits.