PDA

View Full Version : 1997 EF overheating

chipla
27-03-2010, 02:24 PM
can anyone help?
My 1997 Falcon S/W 6cyl Auto is overheating. It lost some coolant yesterday. When it was cold this morning I filled up the coolant and ran it with rad cap off for a while while Ikept topping it up. It took about 4L in total. I then put the rad cap on the reservoir and left it running, it heated up, the fans kicked in and then eventually it overheated going right up to red on the indicator. The coolant began flowing out the overflow from the reservoir.

There's no coolant in oil when I check. It's running ok. No exhaust smells in the coolant reservoir. Only strange thing I noticed is that the thick hose from bottom of rad to block feels like it has something in like a collar? You can't physically squash this one hose like the others, this might be normal as I've not much experience with the Falcon?

I checked all the spark plugs and they are all the same colour..light brown.

Exhaust seems fine.

Could it be the pump or thermostat? Is there a way of testing these?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

:thinking:

Dimmeys_Jeff
27-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Hi chipla,

Hoses sometimes have an internal metal 'spring' or wire to give it its shape, which will stop you from squeezing it like a normal hose.

I'd be checking your radiator first... try running water through it from a garden hose (ideally you should take it out and give it a 'reverse flush'). Obviously, if there's little flow through it it'll be blocked, then it's a new radiator for you :) How's the coolant looking - clean and green, or brown and corroded?

Replacing the thermostat is also quick, easy and cheap (at least it is on the EB). I'd be doing those two things before looking at the water pump.

Good luck with it,

DJ

chipla
27-03-2010, 03:19 PM
DJ thanks for that, I'll give it a go. The coolant at the moment is more brown and corroded. I'll get the rad off and see how it is.

Bass
27-03-2010, 09:47 PM
replace the thermostat and put a new radiator, check the operation of the waterpump, flush the cooling system well with the heater on.

shouldnt overheat if you do this. they dont ever overheat unless the radiator is blocked.

chipla
28-03-2010, 09:55 AM
Thanks Bass, fingers crossed it's one of the 2.:)

chipla
30-03-2010, 09:55 PM
It was the thermostat! Thanks for your help Dimmeys_Jeff & Bass:)