PDA

View Full Version : ecu mods for manual gear change (from auto)

falconxh
14-03-2010, 09:14 AM
Hi, have an xh van that won't change into 4th gear, that is, as the speedo no longer works, it is in a form of limp mode, and, have posted an earlier thread and Mark73 was a terrific help, (as usual), many thanks, however have tried all he's suggested and am starting to think there is a problem in the transmission itself where the cog that drives the speedo sensor is either stripped or broken. Well, now, is there a way to modify the ECU unit, jumper pins or resistors or caps or whatever, such that it is not dependant on the speedo to change gears and, moreover, to effect that one can manually go throuigh the gears on the auto by using the gearstick 1, 2, 3 and then 4? Any help or ideas much appreciated. Have three ECU units to play around with. Even just to be able to select gears 2 and 4 would be of aid (kinda like the old hydramatic). Again, thank you.
:umm:

falconxh
16-03-2010, 11:46 PM
Hello everybody,
:D
hoping to hotwire ECU to change gear via the coloumn gearstick as auto trans not changing into 4th
darn, and drats, no-one seem to know how
:(
the speedo does not go, have checked wiring, speedo and swapped sensor
:eek:
have a spare auto tranny don't want to swap and find have same problem (no 4th gear)
:<
2day found could change up and down into gears 1, 2 and 3 via the gearstick as motoring along
but no 4th 'though
:thinking:
car won't rev out, found accellerater cable is broken on outer sheath being over the rocker cover, anyway going to try and cable tie it together or replace it, hoping car might then rev out more and change into 4th, currently only revs out to 3k rpm
:SHOCKED:
running a ECU V instead of ECU IV as the origonal won't let car out of 1st gear
:giveup:
please, any feedback or input?
:confused:
in any event i'd really appreciate a chance to live life in the fast lane too, cheers
thanking you

:outtahere:

Mini1
17-03-2010, 04:46 AM
If this is the same issue continuing on for a couple of months please ignore as I think you may have done these already. Firstly have you changed the instrument cluster for one with a speedo known to work? Secondly, have you swapped the inhibitor switch?

falconxh
18-03-2010, 03:09 AM
Hyai Mini1 -
greetings, indeed this is the issue that has been going on for more than several months, moreover, certainly don't intend to ignore you being as your input is invaluable. All the while, have to get to work somehow so have been driving this particular vehicle everywhere in 3rd gear lately (for thousands of klicks), incidentally, you may recollect this train of events occured when the TFI module and dizzy was changed over by a auto sparky who ran the car hot to try and simulate the fault condition, and, in doing so blew the transmission cooler in the radiater. :SHOCKED:
Since changed the radiater to another one and dumped the old watery trans oil, but, it transpired the speedo then stopped working one day shortly after at that then time and vehicle not going into fourth gear. One can really go places in third gear alone.:umno:
Nonetheless have found the above problems tedious, if not irksome, i have two xh's and they have both given me great service. The first one isn't on LPG and is a later series with airbag and central locking, however parked it up and handed the plates in when scored the second (older) one on LPG. Think it is time to park up this one now, have a short while before rego is due to try and resolve the no fourth gear issue before handing the plates in on this one too and wrecking the both of 'em. :( The newer van (non LPG) is complete and running still but unlc, also have an el been cannibilized for parts.
Am very grateful for your advice. No, have not changed the speedo. As you may appreciate. that's a fantastic idea, will definitely give it a go. Inhibiter switch - assuming you mean nuetral select switch - changed it out to a brand new one. Do you mean there's another switch somewhere? Please reply.:eek: Given you the whole story in a nutshell such that you might see some continuity as to the running problems in regard to no fourth gear.
Anyway Mini1 have to get to work somehow so whilst van is parked up for a tinker am buying a Toyota with, wait for it, a Holden motor (egad, hiss hiss). It's a Landcruiser 80 series wagon with a 5.0 litre conversion running on LPG, hoping to pick it up 2morrow arvo, and, love to get the panelvan problems sorted out very soon and then give her a birthday coat of new paint.
Again, thanking you. Your input most kindly appreciated. Cheers.
:)

Mini1
18-03-2010, 04:50 AM
Greetings,
yes, inhibitor switch and neutral select switch are one and the same, hence the ignore comment - I was sure you had done it in the past. My advice, for what it's worth, would be to change the 'box for the similar one, that I presume you still have, in the parked up XH.

webby91
19-03-2010, 12:54 AM
change box mate.. i had the same thing happen in my old commodore.. eventually lost 2nd gear aswell then changed the box and she was all sweet.
cheers