View Full Version : Trouble starting

06-05-2008, 09:04 PM
I have a au 2000 and am having trouble starting it at times.

Heres what happens I can get in my car and say i go for a 30 minute drive get out of car do what ever it may be that i need to do from 5 minutes up to 4 to 5 hours. Then when i get in to go again the car will crank over and it will either go and then stall or want go at all it will just crank over. After say 3 times of trying to get it to start it will then do nothing at all when i turn the key,No cranking at all its like there is no battery but all the dash lights are on And then if i wait at least 2 hours and try again it will start straight away.

My questions are

1 do the aus have some sort of cut out if the car want go after a few attemps

2 has anyone else had this problem.

cheers richard

11-05-2008, 07:27 AM
any idea any body?

12-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Normally when you loose the "crank" function the third time you try to start up, it means the PCM has decided to immobilize the car. There are a number of reasons for this to happen. Now here's the trick part; some AUs were made without immobilizer light in the instrument cluster, as SmartShield was incorporated as a rolling production change, somewhere along the AU I's life (99 I think). If your car is one of these, then you'll need a scan tool to know what's happening. If it's not, you'll have a little hand-shaped light on your IC, you just need to check it and see if it turns off after proveout or if it stays on or flashes. Check up on this and let us know how you go

13-05-2008, 05:00 PM
Thanks for info mate. What do you mean by proveout?

when I turn the key on before cranking the hand shape comes on and then turns off after i turn car off the hand shape flashs for a while.

Some one recons it could be the key system? any way I havent dared drive the car anywhere in case i get stuck will a scaner be able to diagnose if its the key system.

cheers richard

13-05-2008, 08:22 PM
Hi Richard

when I turn the key on before cranking the hand shape comes on and then turns off
That's proveout, it's when all systems do a self check when you first turn the ignition on ( ABS, Smartshield, RCM and so on). If all is ok, the lights will turn off after a couple of seconds.

after i turn car off the hand shape flashs for a while.
And that is normal operation.

Some one recons it could be the key system?
That's what I was suggesting, a Smartshield problem. Now that we know you have the hand-shaped light, it's all easier. All you need to do is look at it when the car doesn't start. If it stays on or flashes then there's a problem with your Smartshield and it could only be the key, the TILA(the thing around the ignition barrel) or the BEM (Body Module, under the dash, left of steering column), or wiring between them.
A scanner will be able to diagnose the problem, but more often than not you'll need to use it when the fault is happening, as some of these faults don't leave a DTC, specially if it's the module.

18-05-2008, 05:21 PM
The car played up again today and wouldnt start and then i noticed that the immobiliser hand was not turning off after proveout,I Had to wait 3 hours before the car would start. now to get the car scanned while the problem is happening? The car went for the last week without a problem.

03-10-2008, 04:04 PM
Finally got car fixed after been told it was the modulator and having 3 incorrect ones put in buy the local mechanic.Car still didnt go.Finally took it to ford and it was what they call the key reconision.Cost almost $2000.

Not happy as it was mechanics who kept diagnosing incorrect problem.

For sale one **** Au lol

12-10-2008, 02:16 AM
You got ripped off badly and there is no way that that was the problem . As someone said before , get a fault diagnostic unit to tell you what code comes up and the reference book that comes with will tell you what it is .
Now if you want to go further and better value for money by far is get a Flash Tuner from Bullet Proof Racing and this will tune the Engine Set the Auto trans etc and adjust your timing to what you want and you will have a fully reliable car and save $100s on tune ups in the future .

11-11-2008, 05:33 PM
Have you tried replacing the battery. My AUII has done this twice. Replaced the batter & all is good again for 2.5 years.... damn you AU Battery heat!!!:)