PDA

View Full Version : Mufflers??

AUIIwagon
08-02-2008, 07:34 PM
What are your thoughts on twin tip mufflers on falcon wagons?
i was thinking of getting one as my original muffler has decided to rust completly.
the new one no matter what muffler will be stainless steel to outlast the car :)

SMIK79TE
09-02-2008, 11:35 PM
Just get a full 2.5" stainless system and a good 2.5" straight through if you have the money well worth it.
ZAC

Ground Detent
10-06-2008, 09:40 PM
You really don't need a stainless replacement for the rear muffler on either a 6 or an 8.

Just replace the rear muffler with a good quality 'straight through' (hot dog) muffler.

It will both make the car sound much better, but not loud, as well as lasting a very long time, because these types of mufflers don't retain the moisture that come down the pipe!

And your choice, you can refit the original exhaust tip or fit another!

Good move...:D

millview41
21-08-2008, 11:01 PM
The straight through muffler will have less back pressure so should give a bit extra power ?
I need a new muffler for my AU V8 Fairlane , so would it be a good idea to fit one of those ?
Peter.

Ground Detent
22-08-2008, 08:14 AM
Hi Millview41,
Peter,

I would and have recommended everyone I know to remove their factory rear muffler, worn out or not, and replace it with a good quality straight-through muffler.
It's not so much an increase in power, though there will be some, but more an increase in fuel economy, assuming you drive the car the same way after the switch.
Not to mention the decrease in weight, every bit counts!
A couple of years ago I owned a VN V8 that I did this switch to shortly after I bought it (together with a gas conversion), and that muffler lasted the life of the car with me, nearly 6 years. When I sold the car back in '99, that same muffler was still there with absolutely no signs of needing to be replaced.
And, the main reason for the change, it gave the car a really good low-tone V8-type growl, remaining well within acceptable noise levels.

In addition, I've also fitted the same type muffler to my current AU6, and that also now has a milder version of the same exhaust note, great!

I don't expect to need to change that at all!

Cheers,
GD...:D

Homes
22-08-2008, 07:14 PM
Hi Millview41,

In addition, I've also fitted the same type muffler to my current AU6, and that also now has a milder version of the same exhaust note, great!

Cheers,
GD...:D

what did that cost you mate?...i'm interested in helping my AU6 sound better

Ground Detent
23-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Hi Homes...

I can't recall that it cost me that much, plus a new tip to suit the increased outlet diameter!
Keep in mind that I changed it some five years ago!

It's still looking as good as new and, as I said, sounds great!

Really, it wasn't much at all, and I waited whilst it was done...you should have seen the size of the original muffler that was removed!!

Externally, the only difference is the larger size outlet and the better exhaust note.
I check it out each time I service my car, about every four months, as I do the rest of the underside, and it's showing no signs of deteriation (I did give the weld joint a coat of anti-rust paint when i got home after the job was done!).
Sorry I can't answer your question specifically...

Cheers...GD...:cool:

millview41
24-08-2008, 03:29 AM
Hi Ground detent ,
I think I made a boo boo .
You are talking about the rear muffler or resonator as its also called .
I need a new first muffler and could do with a good suggestion for that .
What is the standard size for a V8 Fairlane and what would you suggest I use ?
Thank you ,
Peter .

Ground Detent
27-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Hi Millview41...
With the front main muffler, I have ever only used the standard setup.

Having said that, I've never changed that muffler on this car, so can't help!

It's only done about 155K.

Cheers...GD...:)

millview41
28-08-2008, 03:18 AM
Hi ,
My V8 has done 127Ks , and the exhaust is very quiet , but when I tapped on the main muffler , it sounded like a box full of marbles but no leaks .
Anyway , I have booked her in and will put in a normal muffler and a straight through end resonator/muffler .
Any ideas on the increase in diameter ?
Peter .
:D:D:thinking::thinking:

Ground Detent
28-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Hi again,

I think it was about 2.5 inches outlet!

Also, I agree, if there is any chance of the main muffler being any sort of restriction, that is, loose parts inside, it would be good economy insurance to replace it.

Cheers...GD...:)

masterjohnson
16-03-2011, 12:57 PM
You really don't need a stainless replacement for the rear muffler on either a 6 or an 8.

Just replace the rear muffler with a good quality 'straight through' (hot dog) muffler.

It will both make the car sound much better, but not loud, as well as lasting a very long time, because these types of mufflers don't retain the moisture that come down the pipe!

And your choice, you can refit the original exhaust tip or fit another!

Good move...:D

Sorry for digging this up. Just curious if i will be replacing my aftermarket mufflers (http://www.racepages.com/auto/exhaust_emissions/aftermarket_muffler.html) with this straight through muffler that you are talking about will i gain horse power with that? improve acceleration? so more hp + improve acceleration = better mileage? or i will just gain hp? just curious because i saw one on the internet that claims better mileage i think that is only for marketing purposes. just having second thoughts.

AUFU98
16-03-2011, 01:44 PM
me personally.....

i think i lost some masterjohnson... i took off the rear resi sounds like a 6 thats trying to be a 8 if you get what i mean..
i had a redback system fitted thats 2 boxs and a tip i took the rear one off and added twin pipes i will show a pic later and i think i have a vid on youtube of the note as well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGwEKb3H9-w

i thought it would add power but i feel like i lost some now im not 100% sure i have i might of gained i may of lost torque so it just dont feel as fast

Redwight
16-03-2011, 11:11 PM
I didn't loose anything from the mods to the system in mine after the gas was fitted, and I'd take that as a gain when there is now a second fuel tank under the tub.