PDA

View Full Version : Head gasket x 2?

kiw
17-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Hi people, I have just brought a 2000 Au with lpg,
on the way home, around a 7 hour drive, i noticed the car temp dropping to below nomal,

as i got home early in the morning, i decided to look at it the next day,

next day i did a compression check, frist 5 pots are 175 to 180, but numder 6 is 130,

put plugs back in, checked and filled water res, started car, and then steam pours out of the exhurts,

blown headgasket,

i by a secondhand motor, only 120.000 ks

have shop install new motor,

just had a call and they say number 3 pot seem to have water on the plug, idles rough, new plugs and oil.

is there anything i should ask, these guys, , i was assured the motor was good,
im wondering if the new motor hasnt been installed correctly/

any ides, of how i can check this.

cheers

hawk
17-12-2007, 06:38 PM
just had a call and they say number 3 pot seem to have water on the plug, idles rough

Have they tried to find which plug is misfireing?

Have they swapped that plug?

Just because they are does not stop you getting a crook plug.

Also if the old motor sounded sweat why didnt you just replace the head?

kiw
17-12-2007, 06:45 PM
just had a call and they say number 3 pot seem to have water on the plug, idles rough

Have they tried to find which plug is misfireing?

Have they swapped that plug?

Just because they are does not stop you getting a crook plug.

Also if the old motor sounded sweat why didnt you just replace the head?
They have told me that they have put new plugs in, but it stll missfires, and plugs seems to have water on it, also they think it is losing water somewhere.

reason i brought new motor, was the old one had very high kms on it,

blueozzie
17-12-2007, 06:57 PM
There's only a couple of reasons why there'd be water on your plug/s, either a blown head gasket or a cracked head (or possibly cracked block?).

If the shop installed a second hand motor (straight out of one car and into another) then they wouldn't have pulled it apart so they can't be at fault if it's the gasket. Unless you were given a waranty then you may have to fork out to have if fixed.

Unfortunately some 6cyl falcons have a tendancy to crack heads, I don't know if this was resolved before AU's or not. I hope for your wallets sake that it's just a gasket..., or that you got a waranty.

kiw
17-12-2007, 07:09 PM
There's only a couple of reasons why there'd be water on your plug/s, either a blown head gasket or a cracked head (or possibly cracked block?).

If the shop installed a second hand motor (straight out of one car and into another) then they wouldn't have pulled it apart so they can't be at fault if it's the gasket. Unless you were given a waranty then you may have to fork out to have if fixed.

Unfortunately some 6cyl falcons have a tendancy to crack heads, I don't know if this was resolved before AU's or not. I hope for your wallets sake that it's just a gasket..., or that you got a waranty.
i got a waranty for the motor, i will have to try and get the cost of the labour back as well.
as i brought the motor from a different place to where it was fitted.

hawk
17-12-2007, 07:46 PM
i got a waranty for the motor, i will have to try and get the cost of the labour back as well.
as i brought the motor from a different place to where it was fitted.

It will pay to give them a ring before you do anything else, they may just pay for a gasket set and give you a second hand head.