View Full Version : Can anyone tell me how to reset the computer on an AU Falcon please?

14-11-2007, 04:25 PM
Hi. about 10,000 k's ago I had a major service (sparks, leads, oil/air filters etc) on my AU Futura, the sticker the mechanic put on the window suggested the next service was due at 177,000kms. At 177,400 the service light has displayed on the dash and the car is running/idling very rough all of a sudden. The car ran perfectly in the morning, then was a completely different vehicle when started that afternoon. May be something else, but the coincidence makes me believe the computer may need to be reset. I've heard (rightly or wrongly) that it can be preset to run rough when the next service is due. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated...

14-11-2007, 06:18 PM
vacume leak maybe. i know they van be very violent.

15-11-2007, 09:24 AM
Thanks Mate, I appreciate the resonse. I'll check that out.

15-11-2007, 10:22 AM
Service ligth wont have anything to do with the rough running (that's amazingly accurate service prediction - only 400km over and runs wrong!)

IIRC to reset the service indicator, press and hold the trip counter reset for at least 10secs (at least that was how you did it on our "AU" LTD)

15-11-2007, 11:16 AM
Cheers docjames - I agree it's a little too accurate for my liking - I thought maybe it was deliberately set to run rough at 177,000k's so I'd have to take it back for another service.
Thanks for the advice, I'm about to take it to a mechanic now, but I'll try resetting the service indicator first. I appreciate the responses guys, I'll post the outcome when I find out what the problem is.

15-11-2007, 03:20 PM
Thanks for your help, although I never found out how to reset the computer (tried your suggestion docjames - unfortunately didn't work) I found the prob. Rings on 2 cylinders need replacing - although the plugs are only 10,000k's old they are caked with oil. My suspicions seem unfounded, the plugs and leads have been replaced again and the car is running fine for now. Now I just need to find a reco 6 cyl engine (gas compatible) in the new year sometime.

15-11-2007, 09:23 PM
thats some bad luck. these motors can usually outlast the car. First ive heard of a Falcon 6 with bad rings.