PDA

View Full Version : btr auto and fuel pressure question

backfire
07-08-2003, 08:25 AM
i have a standard fuel pump in my el falcon it has a pressure of 225kpa but my engine is from an xr6 and it has a dead spot in a few parts of rev range. firstly should i get a new higher pressure fuel pump and regulator.secondly does anyone know where i can get the mod to my auto 4speed box in queanbeyan nsw the tighter shift mod ie the 1ohm 22ohm resistors thanks for any ideas.

ED195Kw
07-08-2003, 09:19 AM
You can't "get" the mod anywhere, you have to make it, or have it made. Just PM 9psiEB, he can give you one, or give you the wiring diagram.

It's a simple mod, if you can't get through to him, let me know. I have a wiring diagram somewhere.

As for the fuel pump, I don't think there was a difference between XR6 and normal 6 fuel pumps.

backfire
07-08-2003, 11:42 AM
cheers for the rply all i need to know now is what no pins do i parallel between for the 22ohm resistor and what wire do i cut to place the 5.6ohm in series to which pin.

backfire
07-08-2003, 11:48 AM
oh yeah i forgot its 97 el the pin numbers described in previous posts on other sites by jamie and backlash were pin81 and 71 but for an ef, anyone out there with an el done this mod .thanks

Paul Stewart
08-08-2003, 10:00 AM
Welcome to the forum, Backfire.

backfire
08-08-2003, 10:08 AM
yeah thanks paul ive cleared up my btr auto question anyone got any ideas though on upping my fuel pressure

bowsaw
10-08-2003, 11:52 AM
Is there an adjustment on the fuel pressure regulator? as in a screw that is adjusted?

backfire
10-08-2003, 11:41 PM
i dont think so ,i could be wrong but the fuel pressure reg is non adjustable it is a set value according to my fuel pump . i think i need a fuel pump with higher flow rate as well as higher pressure value ,this sounds logical to me (more fuel mixing with air better combustion pistons work harder)does that sound right.

TaraHymen
11-08-2003, 01:34 AM
hi, 225kPa sounds like plenty. if u put a higher flow/pressure pump in all that is going to do is make it run rich and up your fuel economy. the mixture needs to be at an optimum and if u muck around with that, the ecu doesnt have a chance at getting it to run perfectly at any rev range.

the small vacuam hose to the pressure reg controls the amount of pressure is in the rail. it will stay at maximum pressure if u disconnect and plug the vacuam hose. try that, go for a drive and see if it makes a difference.

backfire
11-08-2003, 05:44 AM
my initial point i was trying to make was my engine comes from tickford xr6 and my standard fuel pump in my el gli runs a 225kpa pressure and tickford put 250kpa pumps in their cars this is what im getting at a difference of 25kpa ,also a difference in fuel flow rate but im unsure of figures.----my standard fuel pump just doesnt supply enough juice to the rail im sure this is the problem anyway thanks for your thoughts.

bowsaw
11-08-2003, 02:21 PM
The pressure is maintained by the regulator, the pump shouldnt be any different I would think. Change the regulator and that should solve the problem. The fuel pump only pushes fuel to the rail etc, regulator determines the pressure.

bowsaw
13-08-2003, 10:46 AM
Acording to my manual, normal fuel feed is 240cc in 10 sec, XR is 280cc in 10 sec, fuel pressure in normal is 225, XR 250kpa, with vacuum line disconnected, normal 275kpa, XR 300kpa. Dont know if this involves the pump, one way to find out would to see if the part numbers match, hope this helps.

backfire
14-08-2003, 07:11 AM
yeah cool ill pull off the vacuum hose and see what happens ,thanks to all for your input.benno