View Full Version : Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

06-10-2007, 06:42 PM
I need help in case the title didn't grab you. The other day, I changed my speedo face from the stock ghia one to the blue faced XR one. This involved removing the needles ect.
I put the speedo back together and put it back in, and have had trouble since.
Yesterday, I'm drivin down the road, my stereo turns off. Then my ABS and traction control lights come on, then a bit later, the car starts chuggin, it won't shift up a gear, then just dies on the side of the road.
My girlfriends old man said it was the battery, as the same thing happened to him in his AU, and a nw battery fixed everything.
So I bought a new battery, and today, the same thing happened again, except the car didn't chug or anything like that, just lost the stereo and the warning lights came on. The daskh lights were getting dimmer too. Lucky I just made it home, now the car won't start, it's as if it has a flat battery.
Would it have anything to do with the speedo being removed? Maybe I didn't calibrate the battery needle properly, and it's stuffing the computer around. Stuffed if I know. There's no warning light to tell me the battery isn't being charged.

06-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Bad earth?

06-10-2007, 08:08 PM
I have limited knowlege of the mechanicals of a car. I can service the thing, but when you start talking earths, you lose me.
Thanks,this may sound dumb, but how to I check this?
It's only happened since I took out the speedo.

06-10-2007, 09:19 PM
Check that your BATT/ALT warning light comes on just before you start the engine and then goes out once the engine starts. If this bulb is missing, blown or not replaced correctly the battery generally will not charge and your car will do all the same things that you describe.

06-10-2007, 09:33 PM
Thanks mate, will check first thing in the morning.

07-10-2007, 09:15 AM
If you know how to use a multimeter your in luck! If not, then see an auto electrician.

Get the car started some how, then use the multimeter to test the output voltage on the battery terminals. Connect the positive input of the multimeter on the positive terminal on the battery and the negative input of the multimeter to the negative terminal of the battery. The voltage should be around 13v - 14v. If is not, then your alternator is stuffed.

If the alternator is stuffed, then that would be causing the problems you mentioned. No charger means flat battery, flat battery means no power to the car to run vital systems.

Hope that helps

10-10-2007, 07:33 PM
are the plugs in the dash in tight? i know if you disconnect the dash it will be in limp mode ie one gear and no shifting. sounds electrical and dash related.

11-10-2007, 08:48 PM
I took the cluster to a guage shop, he said it's had had it, something to do with the battery dial and the oil pressure dial, so I put a new cluster in and she's running like a dream.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!