PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic Thrust Bearing

TaraHymen
11-08-2003, 01:36 AM
i read recently in a maazine something about a hydraulic thrust bearing which eliminates the need for a clutch fork etc. does anyone know anything about them? know where to get them? cost etc?

it sounds like a perfect solution to a problem i have but over here everyone has heard of them but no one knows where to get one.

bowsaw
11-08-2003, 02:39 PM
Never heard of them, cant imagine how they would work, what did it say in the mag?

TaraHymen
11-08-2003, 03:39 PM
page 41 of aug2003 street machine, 3rd last paragraph, "......on a US made hydraulically-operated throw-out bearing, to replace the inferior standard cable unit."

i can understand how it would work. rather than a piston pushing on a clutch fork, it would push on the input shaft housing of the box creating clutch actuation that way. thats my theory/guess anyway.

ED195Kw
12-08-2003, 01:39 AM
Just a different version of a hydraulic clutch?

Hydraulic clutches aren't new, but this version I've never heard of. I've never had any problems with clutch forks before, so I can't see the benefits, apart from eliminating the old cable, but any hydraulic system will do this.

TaraHymen
12-08-2003, 10:36 AM
tell me more about this hydraulic clutch - unless u are talking about a hydraulic clutch actuator ie: standard slave and mc

the reason i want to know more about this is because of a few reasons:
1)yep, to get rid of the cable
2)i have very little room for error as far as clutch fork travel is concerned
3) undercarriage appearance - if it is an internal hydraulic mechanism i can run the hydraulics in thru the top of the bell housing

bowsaw
12-08-2003, 11:29 AM
Would tidy it up a bit, but how much is it? bloody fortune I would reckon. I have never heard of a clutch fork failing, only thrust bearings. If you were going to show the car it might be worth it.

TaraHymen
15-08-2003, 12:56 PM
showing the car i plan to do and i havent yet seen a "good-looking" way to present a slave cylinder to a T5.

besides that, as i said before i want be rid of the cable setup due to clutch fork and cable space limitations