PDA

View Full Version : Nasty Ping?

ED195Kw
15-08-2003, 07:34 AM
The EB is still not idling properly when cold, idle hunts, runs a bit rich too. Maybe a vacumn leak, although I couldn't find one. Any ideas?

Now she's got a nasty ping under heavy acceleration, tried all sorts of fuel - PULP, vortex, optimax, synergy, still does it. Maybe the base timing?

Any ideas guys?

I met a guy on the weekend who used to own the car about 5-6 yrs ago. He bought it for $30,000 and sold it 2 yrs later for $17,000. He said that the car when he bought it had been to Tickford and he had it dynoed at 192KW! (It would explain the chip) doesn't know exactly what was done to it before he had it though. He new the car well, definately used to own it. He even asked me where the chrome cover for the engine was (which is now faded and sh*tty looking, so I took it off). Although he said that his missus broke one of the mirrors off when backing out the driveway, had to have it replaced. He also said the diff was new and it used to have a killer stereo in it (was there when he bought it), but the standard XR wheels. The guy was about 45 years old, said he used to look after it really well, he now owns a **** Johnson XE Grandprix, only 8 were made with 351's, the rest with turbo sixes. He has the 351.

stevo
15-08-2003, 03:36 PM
Possibly a fuel pressure problem. The fuel pressure is regulated by a vacuum operated modulator. Something to check anyway.

Birdbrain52
15-08-2003, 04:29 PM
The pinging would prolly indicate advanced ignition timing i would think.

EA89
16-08-2003, 05:47 AM
I would suggest go to a mechanic who can properly hook up the proper gadget's to the computer to get an accuret diognises.

ED195Kw
17-08-2003, 06:59 AM
I think it's just the timing, as I can't find a vacumn leak anywhere and all sensors are working fine.

I'll check and adjust the base timing this arvo sometime, when I get off here.

9psi EB
19-08-2003, 09:21 AM
Check to see if you have a decent spark, you could have a dodgey TFI module, coil or leads, and getting a weak spark at the plugs,
This can also cause a bad idle and pinging.

ED195Kw
21-08-2003, 12:09 AM
The ping was caused by incorrect base timing - too advanced. I tried to find my timing gun last night, ended up dropping it when I did find it, now it's broken. So I just adjusted the timing by ear, pinging has stopped.

Now I've gotta go get myself another timing light...

Still have the cold start problem.

Tested the TFI, fine. I'll replace all the leads, coil, plugs and dizzy cap this weekend.

I'm thinking that maybe the water temp sensor is buggered, so ECU doesn't know she's cold? I'll test it tonight.

bobaj2max
22-08-2003, 07:24 AM
When are you putting the new motor in?

ED195Kw
22-08-2003, 10:52 AM
When I get some good heads for it and intake.

Won't be for a while yet. I can use all the new stuff I buy for this motor on the new one.