PDA

View Full Version : EL STEREO INTO EA

SUZYGS1000
02-09-2003, 10:38 PM
HI - I WAS RECENTLY GIVEN THE ORIGINAL RADIO CASETTE FROM AN EL FALCON - I HAVE FITTED TO MY EA (ANNIVERSARY MODEL) OK, EXCEPT THAT I CANT FIND THE WIRE TO ATTACH TO KEEP POWER TO IT - EVERY TIME I USE THE CAR, I HAVE TO REINPUT THE CODE!! - IT SEEMS TO NEED POWER TO THE BROWN WIRE, AND MAYBE THE PURPLE/BLACK, BUT WHEN I CONNECT THE CARS BROWN TO THE RADIOS BROWN, AND THE CARS GREEN/YELLOW TO THE RADIOS PURPLE/BLACK, THE FAN WILL OPERATE WITH THE IGNITION OFF, SO I SEEM TO BE PUTTING POWER INTO THE ACCESSORY CIRCUIT ? CAN YOU HELP?

THANKS, SUZY.

EA89
03-09-2003, 03:12 AM
Hi SUZYGS1000 and Welcome to FAF.:grin

This sounds very interesting EL radio in a EA I must give that ago as well.

Sounds like you need the proper tools for the job and a wiring diagram from a repair manual if you have this then in the back under electrical you will find the wiring diagram but then you would need to look in a EL repair manual.

Let me know how you get on with the radio even some pics would be nice.:grin2

Choperz
03-09-2003, 05:12 AM
Hi Suzy,

According to my workshop manual for EF/EL falcons, the brown wire on the back of the radio goes to the parklamp relay. However there is not mention on a purple/black wire. There is a pink/black wire but that is for the rear left speaker. There is a red/blue wire that comes out of the radio aswell. This wire should not be used unless you have a ghia/fairlane. If you connect this wire to a power source it might cause the radio to not work. When i wired up my cd player i used the red/blue wire and it shorted everything. i couldnt even start the car. I can e-mail you the wiring diagram for the radio if you want. If you have a diagram for the EA you should be able to work it out.

Hope this helped
Rob :bidea

Septimus
04-09-2003, 03:15 PM
Well seeing as I have never seen the inside of an EA this is just assumption. Two coloured wires are generally speaker wires, then you got your solid ones, you have obviously got the ground and power right so there should only be one or two left? Get a voltmeter and place the negative on your ground wire and the positive on one wire at a time(this is while the ignition is off) If you get a reading thats your constant and is the one you hook into the constant on the player

Which when i looked at my old unit has no wires left(silly me). So I think its yellow maybe? but should be next to the power and earth, just have a bit of a fiddle and you should work it out, if not post which wires you got that you cant figure out. Goodluck!

EA89
05-09-2003, 08:38 AM
No Offence Septimus but going about like that can still end in trouble like wiring melting you need to know what each wire is for before you attempt to connect I have seen and heard of people doing this then there wiring melts and so on.

Septimus
06-09-2003, 04:48 PM
None taken, and yes you gotta be carefull, but the test with the voltmeter is the safest way to go and should solve your problem straight up. I didnt even know you could melt the wires by hooking them up wrong, does it have enough voltage to do that? Maybe I should be more careful next time :( .

EA89
07-09-2003, 04:01 AM
yes it can happen not straight away but it will happen it did to me a few years ago with a different car it would seem that the voltage must have increased when the car was started or while driving.