PDA

View Full Version : EA Falcon Engine Conversion

Shoed678
03-09-2003, 10:12 AM
I have a EA falcon and i'm sick of the engine breakdowns cracking heads and blowing head gaskets its a 3.9 center point injected motor. So I'm thinking about putting a 302 Winsor Motor in it and doing away with all the fuel injection. Does anyone know if this motor will easily fit into a 1989 EA Falcon and will it bolt up to the 3 speed auto or will I need to make modifications any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Luke

lbfalcon
03-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Welcome

Gunning our fourm mechanic will be able to advise about this, but i cant see why it shouldnt.

stevo
03-09-2003, 01:54 PM
To put a 302 in your EA, you'll need an Engineer's Certificate. This means compliance to pollution laws for the Car or donor engine, which ever is newer (that means using EFI or LPG).
If it was my car, I'd check if EA and EB crossmembers are the same (anyone?). Then I'd look for a wrecked EB or ED V8 and use the engine, gearbox, wiring, computer, etc.
OR get rid of the EA and buy a new car.

ED195Kw
03-09-2003, 11:03 PM
Agreed.

You'd be looking at around $3-5000 for a wrecked 5L EB with no front end damage. Then you'd have to transfer all the parts over - motor, loom, radiator, suspension, brake booster, maybe cross member, bell housing, maybe tailshaft? Fuel system, etc. Then you'd still have to have it engineered.

So cosidering you paid about $2-3000 (I'm assuming) for the EA, then spent $3-5000 on the donor car, plus extra costs involved (transporting and removing the donor car, all the lttle bits and pieces extra that you would need), you will end up having an EA with a V8 for around $6-10,000. For $10,000 you can get yourself a really good EB-ED XR8 with reasonably low K’s, so personally, I wouldn’t go ahead with the EA project.

bowsaw
07-09-2003, 04:12 AM
Yeah, bugger that , more trouble and expense than its worth.

Phase7
17-09-2003, 09:34 AM
Mate, i have a mpfi 3.9 and never had any trouble with it. She goes like a bat outta hell. What sortta temp does yours nrm run?
It would be heaps easier and cheaper to put in a 3.9 mpfi of eventhe 4.0 mpfi.