PDA

View Full Version : How Much Kilowatt Would u Gain From A Exhaust And Filter

KIL HSV
26-09-2003, 02:56 PM
I drive a EF gli now i just wanted to know ive got a 2 and a half inch exhaust (redback) system and a panel K & N air filter what would be my power gain just from this. Also what would be a betta setup to hav a pod filter or a panel filter???? ur thoughts would be appreciated...cheers

PhoenixEB
27-09-2003, 09:08 AM
I recon you will gain about 15 - 20 KW!

KIL HSV
27-09-2003, 02:37 PM
I dont think it will b that much, im guessing maximum maybe 3 to 5 kilowatts. Would anyone else from here would know what kinda power gain i would b getting????

Septimus
27-09-2003, 11:36 PM
If you got the whole system done with extractors you'd get around 15 to 20. As for Pod Vs Panel, I think its more about placement, for example if you got good ducting into the panel it would be good however you can position the pod where you want it, hopefully in a better spot to get cold air.

PhoenixEB
28-09-2003, 03:57 AM
You will get the 3 - 5 KW from a Good Cold Air intake alone!
For your car id get an AU3 XR Snorkle to replace your existing one. It pretty much fits strtaight on but you will have to drill one screw hole.
The put in a K&N panel filter and you should see a nice, tho small, power gain and hopefully a nice induction roar!

KIL HSV
28-09-2003, 05:46 AM
well my exhaust starts from the cat back and i dont have extractors. now for the filter ive just got rid of the old one and replaced it with the K & N filter so thats it really so whats the power gain just the way it is roughly???

Surreal00
28-09-2003, 04:19 PM
15 - 20 if you do the full chip, exhaust and extractors setup.

I'd say about 10kw the way you have it done now...

So you have a 167kw GLi.

ED195Kw
29-09-2003, 01:39 AM
Sunny's the closest I'd say.

With what you've got, maybe 5-10 as the motor won't gain all the benefits of that exhaust until you open up the rest - a set of extractors and h/f Cat. After that, you'd be getting around a 15-25rwKw gain.

NIK516
29-09-2003, 08:35 AM
is the exhaust mandril bent.
because my freind has on his gli a mandril bent 2 and a half inch.
and the reves are smoother and gets to 60 faster.
the thing is with a flat filter you have to have the xr8 snorkle because the purpose of the filter is to suck in more air and if your snorkile is restricting the air then its no good.
get some extractors and a hi flow cat.
carline does it for about 500-600 bucks.

JaredsEL
30-09-2003, 12:14 PM
I own an Ef series 2 (manual) with very similar mods to what has been done except i have a pod not a flat filter. The most important detail is flowing the air into the filter. i built a heat shield which focuses all of the cold air coming into the bay onto the pod and now with 2.5 from cat back and a K&N Pod ive gained about 5-10km/h over the quarter mile.

I would have to agree with sunny though 10-15kws max.

Jared

NIK516
03-10-2003, 07:17 AM
its still restricted from the top were the headers are and the cat restricts it also.
you wont feel nothing till you get some extractors.

VXSS1
17-10-2003, 01:30 AM
Guys,

As a previous EA and EF owner, I have experimented with all these things myself. I found that on my EA a 2 1/2 inch mandrel was a little to big. So I changed it to a 2 1/4 and it was much better. However, I had the whole exhaust and extractors done. THe air filter on these things I think is not to responsive. I would guess at an exhaust from the Cat back and the panel air filter it would be around the 5-8kW. After doing mods to the EA and then the EF i was sick of the money for not much gain, thats why I bit the bullet and bought an SS or XR8 in Ford speak. There is better gains for mods, example and exhaust on the SS twin system generates around 40-45kW depending who you speak to. But the the issue is affording the car. Really it is hard to win with cars!!

Surreal00
21-10-2003, 07:15 AM
Depends on how much power you want.

A set of beefcake heads, a port clean, 2.25" inch exhaust, Extractors, Unichip etc, in an educated guess, would give you the extra 50kw. (Heads and Extractors are your sweet spot; so take full advantage.)

That's about $3,500 worth of mods though. Whack another $3000 and you can get a blower (V2) which will launch another 40 - 50kw your way.

Lighten the car down to about 1300 kilo's (Not too hard with a GLi), and at 250kw, I don't doubt you could cause some serious 'sleeper' punishment...

GLi's only cost about $6000 now anyway. Another $6000 and you're shredding chunks out of your opponent.

lbfalcon
25-10-2003, 03:01 PM
i got a fair gain in my skyline with a 3" cat back