PDA

View Full Version : Decreasing engine temperature.

Surreal00
19-01-2004, 11:51 PM
Well, now that my car is in good shape again, I think it's time I addressed the engine 'heating' paranoia that I have.

I was thinking perhaps a subtle air intake on the bonnet, or air-scoops. (Not for "looks"; this is supposed to be a beneficial upgrade.)

Can anyone point me in the right direction on going about getting a cooler engine operating temperature? Will the air intake + scoops make a difference enough that I should consider them?

Or is there another way? Please don't suggest better air filters and larger intake snorkels; as I have already addressed that.

stevo
20-01-2004, 02:29 AM
Since the majority of EFs run pretty good temperature wise, it's probably fair to assume the factory cooling system works adequately on a stock car. Therefore, you should look at what may be different about your car and address any issues there.

When does your car get hot? When idling, stop go traffic or at highway speeds?

Air intake into the engine will not affect engine temperature, but a lean running engine will run hotter.

My approach would be to check all of the components of the cooling system: radiator, reservoir cap, hoses (if the bottom hose can collapse, the engine will overheat), thermostat, fans and coolant condition.

If you want to run cooler, you'll need a lower temperature thermostat (is one available for EFs?) and a method of turning the fans on at a lower tewmperature.

Surreal00
20-01-2004, 02:45 AM
Oh, the engine temperature is fine. :)

I just want it to run cooler!

Sagerian
20-01-2004, 04:24 AM
As I said to you this morning, the intake won't affect your engine temp much if at all.

Try www.daviescraig.com.au as they have some cooling systems there. Maybe give them a call and tell them what you want cooled and why and they can prolly recommend something.

beezel26
20-01-2004, 04:25 AM
Well to lower temperature you need to get a larger radiator. This will increase the flow of air too it. But in reality not much you can do. If she runs normal then that what she should be running.

ED195Kw
20-01-2004, 10:19 AM
Oh, the engine temperature is fine.
If it's running at the correct operating temperature, then why would you want it running cooler? You're not going to achieve anything...

If it's running a little hot, do as steve said, have everything check/serviced. If you still aren't happy, try modifying your front bar, fit some air dams or something directed at the radiator.

But really, if it's running at a good temp, then leave it.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

ED195Kw
20-01-2004, 10:21 AM
Maybe fit some extractors...

stevo
20-01-2004, 03:48 PM
From what I can tell, EF cooling systems don't run at full capacity, so the ability to run cooler is there. You need a cooler thermostat and an override to turn the fans on sooner. A cooler thermostat is a well known low buck way of getting a couple of kws from EFI Windsor powered late Mustangs.

Be aware though, car makers want their engines to run fairly hot because its better for emissions.

Surreal00
21-01-2004, 08:50 AM
Maybe fit some extractors...

That idea I like! :)

I just don't like seeing the needle sit in the middle. Yes, I am aware its well within normal operating temperature, but I want it lower than that; at say, quarter.

Can I get some more details on this "override" to get my existing fans to run faster? Or better fans?

stevo
21-01-2004, 04:34 PM
By override I mean have an electrical thermostat switch on the fans at a set temperature. Some thermo fan kits come with thermostats for that purpose. Someone like Davies Craig would list them.

EF fans are known for their high efficiency and are thought by some people to be superior to aftermarket fans, so I would recommend sticking with stock.

The speed of a permanent magnet DC motor (such as a fan) is dependant solely on the supply voltage, so increasing speed is not a viable option.

Forget about different fans and the like, just get the cooling system working a little harder; cooler thermostat and fan switching.

NIK516
22-01-2004, 08:06 AM
i think you may want your engine bay to be cooler for colder air flow to your engine if thats it then.
the heat is mostly from the extractors.
get new extractors that are heat coated to stop some of the heat.
some one correct me if im wrong.

ED195Kw
23-01-2004, 01:34 AM
You're wrong.

Any sort of extractors are going to get the gases out quicker and therefore reduce heat. No need to heat wrap anything.

nibbsy
23-01-2004, 10:20 AM
I have a set of pacemakers on my EL and it causes my engine bay to get QUITE warm. It has actually burnt the sound proofing on the bottom of the bonnet and firewall.
HPC coating or simialar would be the go to reduce the temp.
(i could use some)
nibbsy

stevo
23-01-2004, 04:42 PM
Uncoated extractors increase underbonnet temperatures because the relatively thin steel (compared to cast iron manifolds) doesn't retain exhaust heat and radiates heat into the engine bay.

ED195Kw
24-01-2004, 12:48 AM
And also cool down quicker, whereas the cast iron manifolds retain heat...

You could look at it either way. With my last 2 falcons, extractors have not increased the operating temperature of my engines.

Ford BOSS
24-01-2004, 01:48 AM
I think a new thermostat is in order..... :wave2

stevo
24-01-2004, 08:46 AM
And also cool down quicker, whereas the cast iron manifolds retain heat...

More heat would still be radiated by extractors while the engine is running.

You could look at it either way. With my last 2 falcons, extractors have not increased the operating temperature of my engines.

That only indicates that your cooling system is working.

There is no way extractors will decrease engine temperature. The difference between gas flow speeds is not enough to make a difference to radiated heat under the bonnet.

Don't get me wrong, properly designed extractors are a must for any performance application. Just don't expect the engine to run cooler.

NIK516
24-01-2004, 01:00 PM
no no guys i was just saying that heat coated extractors dont heat up the engine bay as much as normal extractors.
my freind got some fitted on his gli ef the other day you can put your hand 1 cm away and there will be no heat from it, but touch it and you will be sorry u did.
they are a realy nice set of pacemakers they are silvery crom in color that is the heat coating.
a question on that how long after you instal extractors would you feel some majour diffrences?

stevo
24-01-2004, 01:35 PM
Absolutely, everything I wrote referred to uncoated extractors.

al campbell
30-01-2004, 12:50 PM
Hi,
My ED normally sat at about 1/2 way on the temp gauge and I too like to see cars run a bit cooler than this (If my TC Cortina gets this hot I panic). I had the ED radiator serviced by NATRAD and they installed a cooler thermostat. The cars normal operating temp is now just above the blue bar(just under 1/4 on the gauge). The hottest it got was just below the O on NORMAL (about 1/3 on the gauge)towing a car trailer and car from Adelaide to Alice Springs sitting on 120 KPH with the aircon on in 38 degree heat. If your radiator is in good condition a cooler thermostat is all you should need to reduce the engine temp.

Cheers Al