PDA

View Full Version : au oil leak

jet
14-07-2007, 07:36 PM
need some advise as i am told my oil leak on front of 6cyl engine is due to a blown timing case gasket which apparently occured when the belt tensioner parted company with the engine and caused an overheat. I have been quoted $800.00 to repair as am told is an engine out and bench repair.
Does this sound right??? This is only to do the gaskets as tensioner has been replaced and engine runs great

Redwight
14-07-2007, 10:02 PM
You could probably DYI for less but it will be a royal PTA for anyone not equipped with the right tools and $800 doesn't sound unfair to me. It's your choice in that regard 1) save some dollars and do a lot of work to make up for it. or 2) pay someone else and if there is a problem take it back to them and complain.

See to do the gaskets you still need to dismantle the front of the engine and if it's anything like the older engines either the head or the sump has to come off at a minimum....

jet
15-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Thanks redwight, what u say gells with my info, Have worked out cheaper and easier to do an engine swap for abt $450 and dyi as i have gear to do that but am hesitant to strip engine and do gaskets as no guarantee it wont leak again as am told gasket breaks when alloy warps with the overheat.

INJECTED_250
17-07-2007, 09:52 PM
if u got it hot enuf to warp the timing case.... how do u think the head is?....

its more than likely just the tensioner -oring, these ****ers love leaking.. its located under the powersterring pump pretty much

Redwight
17-07-2007, 10:37 PM
It can also be caused by some stupid :slaphead: not reading the instructions and putting a blob of silicone sealant in each corner when doing the initial repairs to things like the cover. I got some practice at this job on the EB when I did the first head in; I ended up lowering the sump to get the cover off but it was a royal PITA.

jet
19-07-2007, 09:22 PM
Thanks injected 250, I think u nailed it as i sat in front of the sucker on a milk crate with torch in one hand and beer in the other and watched as the oil appeared from under PS and dropped onto the water pump, which if i am right puts it right under the tensioner retainer.THANKS FOR THE TIP.