PDA

View Full Version : 100,000km service

nibbsy
08-02-2004, 10:45 AM
My EL falc is just about to clock up 96,000 and i am a bit wary of what the 100,000 major service is going to cost. I mean a normal service at my local ford place costs about $140 if they dont find anything else that needs replacing.
Anyone who has had there EL through the 100 thousand service could give me a round about figure it would be greatly appreciated.
nibbsy

bowsaw
08-02-2004, 01:43 PM
You know all they do for $140 is change your oil and filter, all the rest of the
"inspect hoses, inspect this and that" is crap. If your car is running fine ( do a diagnostic) why bother with the huge money. Change your leads, plugs, or anything else stipulated by the manual, if you dont have a manual, buy one , well worth it. It will tell you what to change in the manual. Do what you can yourself and save some money.

SVR
09-02-2004, 05:49 AM
Yep well put, i do that. Dealers haven't seen my car in four years. I could do an engine oil change blindfolded after the practice i've had.

fordfalcongt
09-02-2004, 06:32 AM
Our EL went thru the 100k service over a year ago, and I cant for the life of me remember how much was paid. But then again, I send it to the mechanic around the corner, not a dealer, so the price i assume will be significantly different. Our EL didnt need too much attention, but I would hazard to guess, it was around $200, but I honestly cant remember.

Sagerian
09-02-2004, 08:38 AM
It depends what needs doing. My 100,000 service was no different than any other. About $200-$300..

However, my last service was about $500 cos I'd warped my front rotors. Generaly if the service is engine/tranny oil/filter changing, pads (I usualy do the pads myself), and "checking hoses", it shouldn't be more than $300

nibbsy
09-02-2004, 12:06 PM
Yeah i know they dont do bugger all and charge you like a wounded bull. But i couldnt be bothered doing a oil change and trying to remove the most pain in the ass oil filter to reach in the world, dont get me started on changing the leads, just as easy to pay someone to do it and save me a good few hrs to do more productive stuff.
Plus now my girlfriend has a job at AutoOne so i get parts and @#%$ at cost price. Got a K&N filter cleaning kit for $15.
Thanks for the help kids
nibbsy

Sagerian
09-02-2004, 12:15 PM
Plus now my girlfriend has a job at AutoOne so i get parts and @#%$ at cost price. Got a K&N filter cleaning kit for $15

'ey that's not too bad. I think I once bought a paper filter for about that.

bowsaw
09-02-2004, 03:57 PM
When i change my oil , i pull out the airbox and get the filter from above, heaps easier.:b

beezel26
09-02-2004, 04:43 PM
140 bucks. Geez what do you own a F450 dually with a diesel engine. In all honesty at my dealership and at most dealerships in my area a 50,000 service will run roughly 350 to 450 american. Thats around 455 to 575 australian dollars. But here is what you get. oil,fuel,air, pollen filter if equipped, rotation and inspect the brakes. Automatic Transmission service. Basically we use a machine to pump out all sixteen quarts of automatic transmission fluid and replace it with new plus some additives. The coolant isnt changed at 50, sometimes its changed at 100 but it depends on the vehicle. We do inspect it first. Also Ford uses long life in some of their newer vehicles. We have a machine to do that as well. Basically it uses shop air to suck all the old out and push new in. We also add additives as well. Most vehicles fall in the 455 range including most lincolns. Heck a lincoln town car service costs the same as a focus. Only certain vehicles with pollen filters and those capable of burning straight ethanol and diesels cost more for parts. Actually a Ford Diesel costs a heck of alot more for maintenance. its almost 60 bucks for parts alone including a twenty five dollar oil filter and sixteen quarts of 15w40. Not cheap at all.

Sagerian
09-02-2004, 10:41 PM
They rotate the pads? You mean tyres yea?

When i change my oil , i pull out the airbox and get the filter from above, heaps easier.
That's... brilliant. Here I am putting about $20 in the swear jar each time I have to change my filter. I'll give that a go next time.

nibbsy
10-02-2004, 07:20 AM
Basically we use a machine to pump out all sixteen quarts of automatic transmission fluid and replace it with new plus some additives

Whats a quart??? :b
nibbsy

bowsaw
10-02-2004, 11:14 AM
About 660ml i think.

beezel26
11-02-2004, 02:35 PM
Sorry using the imperial system. I believe its somewhere around 15 liters for you guys. Not certain though. Trust me the machine works. Its been known to save a tranny when she starts to slip. Well the new fluid and additives save the tranny but there is no way to get all of it out.

Philbee43
12-02-2004, 12:41 PM
mmmmm,check your service book and see what is to be done on the 100 k service, you will probably find it is no differant to some of the other major services allready done.

Quotes like "all the rest of the
"inspect hoses, inspect this and that" is crap"
How do you know we inspected the hoses, ball joints etc is crap? the service adviser told you every thing is in good order, and you get your keys, go to your car and its got stuffed hoses? lmao
or somthing happened to your car weeks later?
Think about it, you go to a large dealership, not the same tech is gunna work on your car every time unless you ask for him, there could be an apprentice working on your car without supervision,the tech could be hung over, lol, he may miss somthing, and at the end of the day it all depends on how good the workshop controler is, he is the one that has to "quality asssure" every job.
In the last 20 years i have worked in dealerships and small business and never worked in a dealership that doesn't do whats on the service schedule.
Most of the time its when you report problems and the customer says "no dont do it" a week/month/day later they are complaining of a fault." and they never bring in the receipt, check the computer and the fault was diagnosed and reported, "wheres your reciept mate" i lost it.

lmao